Not Just A Teacher

Not Just A Teacher Although she currently resides in Worcester, Ms.Virginia Ekblom has lived in West Boylston for sixty-one years. She remembers her childhood as being safe and fun. The children played outdoors, unsupervised for the whole day, playing games like kickball, “Cowboys and Indians”, jump-rope, baseball, and flashlight tag. They would also go to the fields and into the woods. They especially loved going to the town pool, as that was the local hangout. Not only could you swim, but there were also other activities, such as arts and crafts, and recreational activities.

Some of the fads she remembers are Sock Hops (dances), hula hoops, bells in their ponytails and on their shoes, and American Bandstand. When she looks back on that time, she remembers the fun times she had. One of her favorite musicians was the famed Elvis Presley. However, since then, she has gone from rock n’ roll, to more relaxing music, such as Nora Jones and Josh Groban.

Even as a teenager, she had a love of literature. She says that “I have always been a reader of all kinds of books.” However, she says that she likes historical fiction in particular, and prefers fiction to non-fiction.

Ms. Ekblom’s first job was at Roberts Pharmacy, where she worked at the candy counter when she was only fifteen. She also stocked shelves and ran the cash register. Even as a young woman, she had a good work ethic and was willing to work hard.

On the topic of work, her parents were normal, working-class people. Her father was a toolmaker, a job that is nowadays left up to machines, and her mother was a bank teller, a job that many people still have. Like Ms. Ekblom says, “They were blue collar jobs where many parents today are college educated, or mothers are stay-at-home.”

Ms. Ekblom is currently a teacher at Major Edwards Elementary School, teaching 5th grade Language Arts. She says she became a teacher because she liked school. She has been teaching at Major Edwards for 40 years—her whole teaching career. She even did her student teaching here. Although she does love teaching, it was not her first career choice. Originally, she wanted to be a librarian. But she says that, not only was it expensive, but women usually did not get jobs like that. So, she became a teacher.

Most people, looking back at their lives, wish they could change just one or two things. Ms. Ekblom, however, says that there really isn’t anything that she would change, could she go back and do so. Also, I asked her if there was anything that she was doing that she once said she would “never” do. She said yes, “I don’t care so much what other people think about what I wear. If it’s wet, I’ll wear boots. If it’s cold, I’ll wear a hat.”

I asked Ms. Ekblom what was one of the most memorable times in her life. Her answer to this really made me appreciate what I have, and what others take for granted. She said, “I guess losing my husband and then finding that I was a strong person on my own.” She also stated that this wasn’t a single moment, but a process. Most people don’t realize how strong they truly are until they go through hard times, and more people should give themselves credit for their strong character.

Aside from discovering her own inner strength, she has also witnessed many major historic events, which are still looked back on today. She has witnessed two very sad days in American history: the assassinations of both JFK and Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., as well as the Vietnam War. However, she has also witnessed one of the most groundbreaking moments in history—the first moonwalk. She has also witnessed the desegregation of the United States.

When asked what changes she has seen in her students in her years as a teacher, she says that, although she doesn’t want to be negative, she has seen changes that aren’t all good. Some of the better changes she has seen are that they are much more comfortable with modern technology, and they are more electronics-oriented than their teachers, and even their parents. Some of the negative changes she has seen include shorter attention spans, lack of outdoor activity, little work ethic, and less hard working and interested students. She also notes that children now are more sheltered and protected, as well as “overworked” in a combination of schoolwork, home responsibilities, and after-school activities, such as sports and clubs.

But, as well as changes in her students, she also notices changes in the parents. For example, more parents are involved in their child’s school activities, grades, and after-school programs. She also noted that a lot of parents are working more and are at home less. She thinks the change in the parent’s involvement is partially because of the many forms of communication, i.e. phones and e-mail.

As a long-time resident of West Boylston, she has seen many changes in the small town. There are both positive and negative changes. One of the positive changes is that the library is bigger. Another positive change is that the parks are improved, and there are also new neighborhoods. A negative change is the closing of the town pool. Another negative change she sees is that the schools could be updated, in terms of textbooks, technology, and programs.
Although she has seen changes, there is one thing she wishes was still the same, the July 4th celebration. This is when people from towns around would gather at what is now the football field to see the different booths and play games. But the best part, she says, was the fireworks display. However, this was canceled after a firework misfired and burned a small child. She also wishes that the town pool was still open.

I also asked her what she would keep the same about the town in its current state. She says that she hopes it will remain a small town, and I have to agree with her.

When she was asked what part of her life she was really proud of, she replied, “My teaching career – I have loved it and really care about the students I have taught, and have kept in touch with many of them.” So, although this wasn’t her first career choice, she still does love teaching, and the rewards it has brought to herself and others.

Finally, when I asked the question, ‘When you look back on your life, how do you want to be remembered?’ she gave me a reply that made me wish there were more people like her that could really want to help others, not just go after what they want for themselves. Her reply was, “As a person who cared about others and tried to look at their side of things, and taught children to be better students and better people.”

My interview with Ms.Ekblom really showed me that you don’t need to get everything that you want in life to be happy, materialistic or otherwise. She is a really wonderful person, who likes to help others, and also who is a very sensible woman. Finally, Ms.Ekblom’s experiences make me really appreciate what we do have, as well as appreciating my own inner strengths. I hope that others will appreciate her kindness and strength as much as I do.

Latest articles