“These Are Times That Try Men’s Souls”

“These Are Times That Try Men’s Souls” Long before most of the world, Paine began to think differently from the traditional systems and beliefs. Despite in the long run, his reputation, plus a little bit of luck, helped him escape execution and get released from confinement. Considered a genius by many, Thomas Paine “failed out of school by the age of [twelve].” (U.S. Hist. par.1) In just a lifetime Paine helped spark a revolution, met many historic figures, wrote many inspiring literary works, and joined many important groups.

“Thomas Paine is sometimes known as ‘The Father of the American Revolution’ for his writing advocating complete independence from the royal rule.” (Wikipedia par.12) “Paine was convinced that the American Revolution was a crusade for a superior political system and that America was ultimately unconquerable.” (Hist. Guide, par.4)

He met Benjamin Franklin in London, who sent him with a recommendation to the colonies in America. He settled into his most famous occupation, revolutionary propagandist, and wrote Common Sense anonymously on January 10, 1776, “attack[ing] monarchical government and the alleged virtues of the British constitution, opposing any reconciliation with Great Britain.” (Hist. Guide par.3) “His passionate words were so clear, so devastating, so commonsensical that he was no longer debating- he simply made other views look ridiculous. … Common Sense became the bible of the Revolution- the one text that all literate Americans read.” (Aronson 173) His pamphlet Common Sense sparked the idea of revolution in the colonies. “120,000 copies are alleged to have been distributed throughout the colonies within three months.” (Wikipedia par.12)

Paine was just getting started with America. During the Revolutionary war he wrote a series of pamphlets, The Crisis, with his famous quote, “These are times that try men’s souls.” to inspire the troops. “This pamphlet was so popular that as a percentage of the population, it was read by or read to more people than today watch the Super Bowl.” (U.S. Hist. par.3) General George Washington ordered the pamphlet to be read to his troops.

If that wasn’t enough, Paine was the very man that suggested the colonies call themselves the United States of America. After the Revolutionary War many would say that “Paine played no part in the establishment of the new republic” (Hist. Guide par.6), but that is not true. The pamphlet Common Sense influenced the Declaration of Independence and indirectly the Constitution. Without Thomas Paine America would not be the way it is today. Eventually it would have become independent, but it would not be as far as it is.

Thomas Paine was an extremely radical man for his century, someone who thought outside the box. He was one of the few early people in his time that were against slavery, he “was staunchly anti-slavery.” (U.S. Hist. par.1) Thomas Paine thought his “friend” George Washington was a hypocrite, for many things including owning slaves. His first written work in America was on slavery, African Slavery in America. It criticized America’s use of slaves. “… [He] asked of Americans, ‘with what consistency or decency can they complain so loudly of attempts to enslave them, while they hold so many hundred thousands in slavery.’” (Aronson pg.168 ) On a lesser note, Paine was an anti-monarchist, except so vehemently so that he was labeled an outlaw in England. He wrote Rights of Man in support of the French Revolution, England banned the book because it opposed monarchy. Paine also wrote that book because he believed in equal rights, something almost never thought of. During his time there were always the classes of the poor, the servants, the rich, the leaders, the middle class, and the pious (priests, rabbi, etc).

The most radical thing about Thomas Paine was his religion and his publication, The Age of Reason, about his beliefs. That is what destroyed his success and had him condemned even after death. In Age of Reason he called himself a Deist and claimed there was only one god and nature was the only revelation. All the churches were flawed and kept immoral traditions. It wasn’t the fact that he had insulted and criticized all religions. That has been done many times before. It was more the harshness in which he doled his opinions out (Leemhuis).

Being quite an important and well-known person, Thomas Paine had the privilege to meet a lot of very important and influential historic figures. He of course knew Benjamin Franklin on a personal level; Franklin had sent him to America. “… Dr. Benjamin Rush- an important Philadelphian doctor and antislavery campaigner- suggested that Paine produce a pamphlet advocating independence.” (Aronson pg.169) He was granted honorary French citizenship along with Alexander Hamilton, George Washington, and Benjamin Franklin. He also met with Napoleon, who claimed to sleep with Rights of Man under his pillow. Napoleon even said to Paine that “a statue of gold should be erected to you in every city in this universe.” (Wikipedia par.22) Thomas Paine admired Napoleon until the man started to sway towards dictatorship and Paine named him the “completest charlatan that ever existed.” As for his release from prison, Paine probably would have been incarcerated for life if it weren’t for James Monroe, American Minister to France. Believing Washington had abandoned him in prison, Thomas Paine harshly criticized him and would quarrel with him for the rest of his life (Wikipedia). His criticism of everything around him did not, for the most part, make him popular.

Besides his connections with important people, Thomas Paine was a member or a leader of some important groups. “He was one of the first to advocate a world peace organization and social security for the poor and the elderly.” (U.S. Hist. par.1) “Despite his inability to speak French, he was elected to the National Convention, representing the district of Pas-de-Calais.” This was in 1792; the National Convention is similar to the House of Representatives in America (Wikipedia). Like his father, he was also a Quaker. “It was through groups like the Quakers that some of the more extreme views of the English Civil were kept alive.” (Aronson pg.168 ) He was a member of the Levellers who believed the people should have say in the government, every person (Aronson).

Considered a genius by many, Thomas Paine “failed out of school by the age of [twelve].” (U.S. Hist. par.1) In spite of his lack of schooling, Paine had many different occupations. He refused to accept the occupation of his father, who was a Quaker, as a corset maker. He went out to sea but soon came back. Paine went on to be an excise man and then a school teacher in London, but returned to excising in Lincolnshire in 1768. He also failed to manage a small shop along with his job (Hist. Guide par.1). Paine published The Case of Officers of Excise in 1772 to argue for a pay raise for the officers (U.S. Hist. par.2). “Paine arrived in America in 1774 and soon found a job on the Pennsylvania Magazine, whose first issue appeared on January 1, 1775. He served as both editor and author.” (Aronson pg.167) In America, France, and England he was a revolutionary propagandist. When he was inactive between the American Revolution and the French Revolution Paine invented a smokeless candle and a single-span iron bridge, but it was built in a field in Paddington, London due to lack of money. Paine had turned his attention to the French Revolution, leaving off on any fund raising he was doing for his bridge invention.

Thomas Paine was a radical and influential man ahead of his century. He invented, criticized kings and leaders, took many jobs (though most he fumbled with), and wrote amazing literature. He played an important part in national revolutions, especially in America. He seemed to be drawn to them and felt obligated to support and guide them. “In the face of the agonies and confusions of people like Jefferson and Washington, Paine was absolutely clear.” (Aronson pg.168 ) “Government is necessary solely because it offers people more than they can create individually, and because not everyone in the world will be a good neighbor, a good friend. Why, then, could anyone possibly want to have a king- a person standing above the agreements of the people?” (Aronson pg.170) “A Quaker, a firebrand in the Leveller tradition, a Londoner who knew the saga of John Wilkes intimately, Paine brought with him the purest fire of English radicalism.” (Aronson pg.169) How could anyone have wanted to erase his part in history forever?

Latest articles