Avril Lavigne - Punk Rock Princess

Avril Lavigne - Punk Rock Princess Avril Ramona Lavigne, also known as Avril Lavigne is a Canadian punk-pop rock singer and musician. From being the unknown girl, Avril burst out in music industry with her smashing hit Sk8er Boi and Complicated. But who is she? How did she get her name and respect in music?

Avril was born in Belleville, Ontario. Her talent was first seen at the age of two when her mother noticed that Avril sings with her during church songs. Later on, Cliff Fabri, her first manager discovered her while she was singing in Ontario.

Let Go is her debut album released in 2002. Complicated, the first single of the album and the famous Sk8er Boi is in the track list of the said album. Let go was so successful that it became a platinum, 6 times in USA and 8 times in the whole world. It has sold over 18 million copies world-wide. I'm With You is another single of the album. It gained them more power and success. Avril received 4 Grammy nominations for this album and its singles. Basically, this album is the reason Avril Lavigne is here.

After two years, Avril released her second album titled Under My Skin. Compared to her debut album, "Under My Skin" is my serious and heavier. It brought out the darker image of Avril. Don't Tell Me and Happy Ending are the most famous singles of the album. It was in Billboard top 100 and topped several charts around the world. It became platinum 3 times in USA. Avril won 2 World Music Awards; "World's Best Pop/Rock Artist" and "World's Best-Selling Canadian Artist" in 2004. This album may not be as successful as Let Go but, it is still an amazing album, which gave them more respect.

The Best Damn Thing is the 3rd album of Lavigne. Avril described it as "fast, fun, young, bratty, aggressive, confident, cocky in a playful way...all the good stuff." It was released last April just this year. The first single of this album is Girlfriend which is available in 7 languages. This is the most successful song of The best damn thing. It reached No. 1 in US, Australia, Canada, Europe and, in the United World Chart When You’re Gone and Hot is in this album too. The song Keep Holding On is another hit from the album. It became so famous that the release of the single Girlfriend was changed.

It was May 2007 when she, her co-song writer and her record label was sued by James Gangwer and Tommy Dunbar who claims that the song “Girlfriend” is the same with the 1979 song I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend which is originally from The Rubinoos. So basically, they’re telling that “Girlfriend” is just a rip off. Then a song writer named Chantal Kreviazuk said that Avril can’t write songs. He said that, he gave Avril a song Contagious and then he just saw that song in her album Let go, without his name on it. On July, he made a public apology. Also, the song I don’t Have To Try has another controversy. It’s because of the similarities of it to I’m The Kinda of the Peaches. The Best Damn Thing is a big hit and became famous but, it sure did mess up Lavigne’s name.

Also, some people categorized her as sell out because of her, from being a punk rock chic to what she is now. And because of her album “The Best Damn Thing”. It toned down a bit. She said that “As you get older, you start dressing and doing things differently. Now, I love clothes, shoes, and purses!” Now, Avril is married to Deryck Whibley of Sum 41. Still continues with her work and career. She may have changed but, she’s still Avril. She just bloomed from a girl who thinks and acts like a kid to a woman who now knows how to take life more seriously.

Latest articles