Don't Sweat the Small Stuff For Teens

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff For Teens Richard Carlson was a Ph. D., author, and motivational speaker who wrote many books entitled Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff, one of them being Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens. This inspirational self-help book takes readers' opinions and ways of looking at things and completely flips them around. The book addresses “Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times.”

Some of the articles in the book include, but are not limited to friendships, relationships, anxiety, stress, and anger. Carlson’s way of explaining things makes you think twice about what you do and say every day and give you a new attitude towards things. The following was taken from the portion of the book entitled “Become 25 Percent Less Critical.”

As you embark on this strategy, be prepared to be a little shocked. You’re likely to discover that you and your friends expend a huge amount of energy on criticism. Most of us find ways to be critical of practically everything. We’re critical of the world, politics, people who see things differently from the way we do, those who look different, act different, and so forth. We’re often critical of our family members, our school teachers, people who do well in life as well as those who struggle.

After reading this, I’m sure many people (especially teens) can think back and realize that this really does apply to them, and that they are probably a lot more critical than necessary. This book can open your eyes to common human flaws and help you to make them better. The article goes on to say;

This has nothing to do with letting go of appropriate criticism, because certainly there are many times when it’s important or appropriate to be critical. However, I’m referring to the habitual, mean-spirited, or simple knee-jerk types of criticism that usually stem from gossip, or habit, or simply from a does of too much negativity.

Everyone can relate to this book, because it discuses typical issues that every human faces. Everyone is critical about things, and it seems as if no one notices. Carlson was a great psychologist and author because he brought to attention those little habits, tendencies, and flaws of human nature, making readers see things from different perspectives and try to change their attitude towards things.

Unfortunately, Carlson passed away in December of 2006 while on a flight from San Francisco to New York. He was forty-five years old, and died of pulmonary embolism. There are memorial websites in his honor, and many readers are grateful for his witty, intelligent, and eye-opening books and speeches.

Latest articles