Oskar Schindler: Traitor, Nazi, Savior

The most unlikely of heroes: this is how Oskar Schindler was often described. A member of the Nazi party, an opportunistic businessman and a womanizer, he was close friends with many high ranking Nazi SS officers.

At the age of thirty he recieved ownership of a seized Jewish enamelware factory, gaining greater wealth and position than he'd ever held before.

Even his workers were cheap Jewish laborers. He leeched out a high flying life from the misery of the Jews. But then something happened that would change his views and life forever.

In 1943 Schindler witnessed the liquidation of the Krakow Ghetto. (Liquidation here meaning the seizing of all worthy workmen, and sudden violent murder of all who remained.) He could only look on in horror, as many of his own workers were killed.

But he did not let his complacency last any longer he spent the rest of the war and all of his fortune protecting the Jews.

Using all his considerable charm Schindler managed to wriggle information out of his SS friends. What he could not charm out of people he simply bribed out of them. Papers, information, a little bit of smudging on the details.

He exempted many otherwise useless workers from certain death. The handicapped and injured he claimed a "necessary workmen," and also claimed that the young children of his factory workers were needed to help polish the narrow interiors of missile shells.

He did not treat his Jews cruelly or violently. They were excellently taken care of, receiving good food and medical care.

He also allowed the Jews to practice their religion; they were allowed to attend a service of public prayer, discuss religious ideas and observe the sabbath.

He was arrested multiply times for his suspicious activities but it seemed Schindler was invincible. No one would suspect this charismatic Nazi playboy of his actual activities.

Though they would cost him his entire fortune and many times jeopardize his safety, Schindler protected his Jews until the very end. When the war had ended he had saved over one thousand two hundred Jews.

He shows us that help can come even from the most flawed and unsuspected of people.

Latest articles