Big Bang

Falling under the category of K-Pop, BigBang has been under the management of YG Entertainment since 2006, to the present 2013. This is an all male dance group that consists of five of its finest members.

The leader, Kwon Jiyong, goes by his stage name as G-Dragon or G.D. He has been involved with SM Entertainment when he was eight but changed record labels with YG. A solid six years of being a trainee and he was declaread as leader and one out of two rappers for BigBang. He's been involved in composing and writing most of the bands music such as "Haru Haru", "Last Farewell", and "Lies" which broke the Korean music charts for a record-breaking seven weeks as the number one hit song.

The second rapper of BigBang, Choi Seunghyun, otherwise known as his stage name, T.O.P, also happens to be a singer, songwriter, actor and model. He's branched out in films such I Am Sam, Iris, 71: Into the Fire, and Nineteen. Prior to becoming part of the YG family, Seung was an underground rapper that had gone by the name of "Tempo" and was a childhoood friend of Jiyong. They had been neighborhood friends from school and would hang out until G.D soon moved away. When the leader had gotten more involved with YG, he had asked T.O.P to come by and audition. Initially, Seunghyun was rejected because he was too "chubby" to fit the "icon" of an idol. He had spent six months reshaping and getting fit because of his yearning to be part of YG and later got in.

Dong Youngbae is better known by his stage name, Taeyang and is a recording artist and model. He had begun training under YG at the age of tweleve alongside leader G.D and after six years of vocal and dance practice he made his debut. He was first introduced to the industry in a hip-hop music video "A-yo" and it led him to sucessfully auditioning for YG and getting a record label.

Kang Daesung is also known as D-Lite and is a singer, songwriter, ocassional actor, and variety host. Since his debut, he has released a Japanese album, solos, performed in musicals, acted in the drama What's Up, became a member of the reality TV series Family Outing and talk show Night After Night. Daesung had dropped out of high school due to keeping up with BigBang, but he did pass his college entrance exam in 2008 and was admitted into Kyunghae University in Seoul. His parents were against the idea of him becoming part of the industry, but he pursued his singing career and was recruited after auditioning.

Lee Seunghyun, better known as Seungri or V.I (Victory), is a singer, songwriter, dancer, actor, model, record producer and composer. Before joining BigBang, he appeared in a reality television program that attempted to create a boyband. He was noted for his dance skills, but because of his lack of vocals, he was eliminated. During their own document that was televised and aired, he was cut on the ninth episode but given another chance by Yang Hyun Suk (CEO of YG) and suceeded in becoming a member of BigBang. He had released his first solo album VVIP in 2011.

Japanese Debut

On Feburary of 2007, BigBang had released their live concert album which sold 30,000 by the end of the year. They had also began their Want You tour visiting five cities in South Korea; Incehon, Daegu, Changwon, Jeonju, and Busan. Their first mini album, Always, was also released in 2007. Though they had already composed and written a few of their songs, they decided to take more control over their music. G-Dragon initially wrote most of their songs included in their first mini album and the album itself sought the introduction of BigBang's electronic music.

Their first Japanese play,For The World, released early in 2008 and was charted number 10 with little promotion. They had also held a concert at JCB Hall in Tokyo Dome City and returned to Korea when their promotions for Japan had ended. Yet during the realease of their Korean music, BigBang released the Japanese song "No. 1" from their album of the same name. It rose to number 3 on Japanese music charts.

At the end of 2008, BigBang earned a total of 36 billion.

Alive World Tour

On January of 2012, YG began to release mini teaser videos of BigBang's fifth album Alive in physical and digital formats. Preorders came in to 260,000 copies in just two weeks. BigBang obtained 5 spots out of the Top 10 on Billboard K-Pop's Hot 100 and charted at 150 on Billboard 200 making them the first Korean artists in history to break that record. Since the release of this album, BigBang has been recognized on sites such as Time Magazine and was feautred in a photo on the Grammy Awards homepage.

The album release concert, Big Show 2012, was held at Seoul Olympic Park from March 2nd to March 4th with over 40,000 fans. It was an official start of their first world tour associated with Live Nation.

Following the sucess of their comeback, a special edition album Still Alive was released on June 3rd that included their lead single, "Monster" as well as Korean remakes of two songs from additional tracks. The album sold 10,000 copies in the first month.

From 2006 to the present 2013, BigBang is still going with their amazing feat with a growing crowd of fans from all over the world.

Latest articles