Betsy Ross: The American Flag

When you think of the Revolutionary War, you think of the men that fought for our country, like George Washington. In history textbooks, they don’t mention the women’s role in the war, when in fact, many women contributed to the Revolutionary War. One in particular was Betsy Ross, the women who created the first American flag.

On January 1st, 1752, Elizabeth Griscom was welcomed into the world. She was raised in a Quaker community, and once she was old enough, attended a public school. She went 8 hours a day, learning to read and write, and eventually trade skills. Since her father was a house carpenter, she was expected to learn sewing and be good at it. Once she was out of school, she took a job as an apprentice in a sewing shop. There she widened her skills and made several flags. It was at her job where she fell in love.

John Ross was a co-worker to Betsy, and it wasn’t long after they met that they fell in love. One problem in their relationship was that she was Quaker, and he was involved with the Christ Church. This was disapproved in the Quaker community. Betsy was cut off emotionally and economically from her family, so in November 1773, she eloped with John in New Jersey. They settled down to start their life and two years later, started an upholstery business. It is rumored that she was the woman who sewed George Washington’s shirts. When John Ross joined the Pennsylvania militia, disaster struck. An explosion critically injured him. Betsy tried nursing him back to help, but on January 21st, 1776, he passed away. She wasn’t alone for long though.

In June, 1777 Betsy Ross married Joseph Auburn, who was a sea captain. During their marriage, they had two daughters, Zilla, who died in her early infancy, and Elizabeth. Unfortunately, their marriage was cut short when Joseph was captured by British troops. There he passed away. The man to bring Betsy this news was John Claypoole, who became her third husband in 1783. Together they had 5 girls, but one died in infancy. Betsy died on January 30th, 1836, when she was 84 years old. She lived a good life but it wasn’t until her grandson that people realized how her life impacted the revolutionary war.

William J Canby announced to the public 90 years after the event, that his grandmother, Betsy Ross, was the women who created the first American Flag. Ever since Canby announced this news, controversy struck. According to the U.Sflag.org, there is no real proof that this event happened. However, in Betsy’s diary, she wrote about how she had a meeting with George Washington, George Ross, and Robert Morris. It was described in the diary that she was asked to make the flag and that the very own George Washington had recommended her that she sewed the flag. Even though no one will ever know the truth, Betsy Ross became a legend, and also she started the hope for women’s rights in the 1800’s.

She lost two husbands in the Revolutionary War, is said to have sewn the first American Flag, and showed America that not only are their founding fathers, but also founding mothers. She lived through the Revolutionary War and became a legend because of it. Betsy Ross was an amazing woman and will forever be remembered for making the nation’s star spangled banner.

Latest articles