Pope Francis

“My people are poor and I am one of them.”

Yes, he said it himself. The present Vicar of Christ proudly spoke that he is not a man of wealthy possessions, rather a man of humility and respect. He continues to teach his constituents to open up their doors and remain present to those who are in need amidst all the challenges that have and will come in their way. We all know who he is. The only question is, up to what extent?

Early Childhood

Jorge Mario Bergoglio was born on December 13, 1936 in Buenos Aires. His parents were immigrants from Italy who decided to reside in Argentina. His father, Mario, was an accountant and his mother, Regina Sivori, was a housewife. Little Jorge was a brother to four other siblings in his simple abode. He grew up to be a smart boy, graduating as a chemical technician.

Education and Studies

Around the age of 22, Bergoglio decided to enter the Seminary of Villa Devoto. He studied Humanities in Chile and returned to Argentina in 1963. He earned his degree in Philosophy at the Colegio de San José in San Miguel. He became a literature and psychology teacher at the Immaculate Conception College in Santa Fé for one year and then transferred to Colegio del Salvatore in Buenos Aires to teach the same subject. For three years, he studied and graduated with a Theology degree in Colegio of San Jose.

Priesthood

It was on December 13, 1969 that Bergoglio was ordained a priest by Archbishop Ramón José Castellano. From 1970 – 1973, he took further training at the University of Alcalá de Henares, Spain and showed his potential and profession to the Jesuits. He then became a professor, consultant and novice master in several various universities and colleges in Argentina.

Bergoglio was appointed titular Bishop of Auca and Auxiliary of Buenos Aires by Pope John Paul II due to Cardinal Antonio Quarracino’s request. His first interview was taken by the parish newsletter Estrellita de Belém.

It came as no surprise when Bergilio was promoted to Coadjutor Archbishop of Buenos Aires in 1997. Barely nine months have passed when Cardinal Quarracino passed away and Bergilio succeeded him on February 28, 1998.

He has written several books entitled Meditaciones para religiosos (1982), Reflexiones sobre la vida apostólica (1992) and Reflexiones de esperanza (1992) when he became Grand Chancellor of the Catholic University of Argentina.

Statements such as being a prophetic mission of the bishop, a prophet of justice and his responsibility to preach ceaselessly were spoken by Cardinal Bergoglio. He had become a more prominent figure in Latin America.

Present Years

These are few among the several many things he has achieved before becoming the Pope of the Catholic Church. Recently, he has attended the World Youth Day in Brazil to preach about the Word of God.

Latest articles