JYJ

JYJ, consisting of Jaejoong, Yoochun, and Junsu, were previously members of another South Korean boy band, TVXQ. The first initial of each of their names make up the name of the band itself.

Members

Kim Jaejoong, who also holds the first "J" within the title of the boy band, is known by his stage name, Hero. He was born on the twenty sixth of January and is a singer as well as an actor. He's starred in many Korean dramas such as Protect the Boss and Dr. Jin. He has also been featured in the movies such as Jackal and Heaven's Postman.

Jaejoong had auditioned for SM Entertainment in 2001 before being accepted into the agency as the lead vocalist of TVXQ (DBSK) from 2003 to 2010. Apart from his current JYJ status and previous TVXQ membership, he had his own string of solo singing projects which were either self composed or sung with another individual.

Park Yoochun, who holds the second initial, "Y", is better known by his stage name, Mickey. He was born on the fourth of June and is a rapper, singer, and actor. He's most known in his popular TV drama's, Rooftop Prince, Missing You, Miss Ripley, and Sungkyunkwan Scandal.

Kim Junsu, holding the last initial, "J", is known by his stage name, Xia or Xiah. He was born on the fifteenth of December and is a dancer, singer, and stage actor.

Unlike the other two members of JYJ, Junsu has starred in stage musicals such as Mozart in which he played the role of Wolfgang and Elizabeth where he played Death. He also released his solo Korean album Tarentellegra in 2012.

The Lawsuit Against SM and Avex

The lawsuit the three members filed against SM Entertainment took place in the middle of 2009. They argued that the thirteen year length structure of their contract as well as profit distribution was unfair and disadvantageous. In October of 2009, the Seoul Central District Court suspended the SM contract and gave them independence in the activities they wished to pursue as well as filing for an injunction.

The three members went forth with their activities in Japan until their Japanese agency, Avex, gave their support to Changmin and Yunho (two remaining members of TVXQ) and suspended JYJ's right to participate in these activities throughout the year of 2010.

In November of 2012, SM Entertainment and JYJ had come to terms in terminating all contracts held between the two and not to interfere with future activities the three members would soon make on their own.

The lawsuit had raged for a solid three years and four months before ceasing it's existence and leaving JYJ as a free three member boy band and now under the management of C-JeS Entertainment.

Debut as JYJ

The group itself made its first appearance at the four-day Thanksgiving Live in Dome concerts at Tokyo and Osaka in June of 2010 after being announced by Avex's sub-label, Rhythm Zone, in April.

The group's debut The... was released in September and was number one on the charts as were their DVD for the Thanksgiving Live concert. JYJ also released their English album The Beginning on the twelfth of October with the lead track "Ayy Girl" featuring Kanye West. They promoted this album during a worldwide showcase tour and launched their concert on the twenty sixth and seventh of November which was a full two-day concert held in Seoul's Jansil Olympic Stadium.

"In Heaven" and First Worldwide Tour

On the twenty fifth of January of the coming year, JYJ released their Korean EP Their Rooms "Our Story" before charting on Hanteo. They launched their first worldwide tour in the spring of 2011 with concerts located in Thailand, Taiwan, China, Canada, and the U.S. They also held a charity concert in Tokyo and two encore specials in Busan and Gwangju located in South Korea.

In September, JYJ released their Korean album In Heaven and extended their world tour by adding performance dates. In this year, they also released a documentary on the three member's personal lives.

Fan Events

On February, JYJ released a Korean film called The Day which was a documentary based upon their daily lives. Their first international fan fair in South Korea was held in June. They put together a fan based gift labeled "2012 JYJ Membership Week" which was funded by the members and members alone.

Latest articles