GOT7

GOT7 is a seven member South Korean hip-hop boy group under the company JYP Entertainment. January 16, 2014 marked their official debut when they performed on the popular Korean music show, M! Countdown. They are JYP Entertainment's first hip-hop group and they specialize in 'martial arts tricking' which is a form of martial arts with acrobatics.

Members

JB, whose real name is Im Jaebum, was born on January 6, 1994. He is the leader as well as one of the lead vocalists and visuals of the group. JB, who trained for only two years and six months, originally debuted in 2012 along with fellow member Jr. as the duo JJ Project. Before debuting, he and Jr. were both in the 2012 Korean drama, Dream High 2 and just last year, they were also cast in the drama When a Man Falls in Love. JB was also on the reality show The Romantic & Idol.

Mark Yi-En Tuan, the group's oldest member, second visual, main rapper and main dancer, was born on September 4, 1993. He is originally from Los Angeles, California and is Taiwanese-American. He also has Chinese in his background from his father's side. Mark was one of the members who had their first pre-debut appearance on an episode of the survival reality show Who is Next: WIN. He, along with fellow members Jackson, BamBam and Yugyeom, competed against YG Entertainment trainees. He often refers to himself as the "flying member" of GOT7 since he is the one who is mostly seen doing flips during the group's performances.

Jackson Wang was born on March 28, 1994. He is from Hong Kong, China and is one of the group's sub-vocalists, lead rappers and main dancers. Before becoming an idol, Jackson was a member of Hong Kong's National Fencing Team and won first place in the Asian Junior and Cadet Fencing Championship. Jackson has adopted the phrase "wild and sexy" to describe himself within the group. Besides Mark and BamBam, he is the only other member who is fluent in English.

Jr., whose real name is Park Jinyoung, was born on September 22, 1994 and is known as the mom of the group. He is a lead dancer and lead vocalist in the group, which is a change from his role in JJ Project as a rapper. Jr. was scouted by JYP Entertainment in 2009 after winning and tying with JB for second place in the JYP Trainee Open Recruitment 5th Audition and he also had a training time of two years and six months. His stage name "Jr." came about because his name is identical as that of Park Jinyoung, the CEO of JYP Entertainment. Since GOT7 was formed, he has been on a couple of variety shows such as God of the Dining Table and 1000 Songs Challenge along with JB, Youngjae and Jackson. He recently finished shooting an episode of Dream Team with fellow member Youngjae.

Choi Youngjae is the main vocalist of GOT7. He was born on September 17, 1996. He trained for only seven months before debuting and was the last member to join the group. He is known as the "secret member" since no one had heard anything about him until the group's teaser pictures were released.

BamBam, whose real name is Kunpimook Bhuwakul, is a lead dancer and lead rapper in GOT7 as well as the self-proclaimed cutest member. He was born on May 2, 1997 and is from Thailand. Before debuting, he was in a few commercials in Thailand and also won first place in a Rain cover dance competition in 2007. It is rumored that in 2009, BamBam auditioned with a Thai band called We Zaa Cool on a program that JYP Entertainment sponsored and they won second place.

Kim Yugyeom was born on November 17, 1997. He is a lead dancer, lead vocalist and the maknae. In 2011, Yugyeom won second place in a dance battle and he currently attends Hanlim Arts High School as a street dance major.

2014: Debut and Got It?

GOT7's first teaser video was released on January 10, 2014 and the second one followed on the 13th. On January 15th, they released their first music video for their debut song, "Girls, Girls, Girls." Their first mini-album Got It? was released on January 20, 2014 and contains six songs. They promoted "Girls, Girls, Girls" on music shows until late February. They then proceeded to promote "I Like You," which is the third track from the album, on a few music shows. On January 22nd, the first episode of their own reality web show, RealGOT7, was uploaded onto the JYP Entertainment YouTube channel. Currently eight episodes have been aired.

Latest articles