Woman Saved by Her Bra

Woman Saved by Her Bra With nothing but sheer cliff behind her and dismal injuries, Bruinsma could do nothing except wait for rescuers to come sustained by water she had found in a supply box on the ledge.

A rescue team of 5 choppers and 80 emergency workers had been searching around the clock for her since she disappeared on June 16th, when she got the idea to toss her sports bra up onto a cable that was part of a timber transport system used in the area by loggers. The system happened to be down at the time which some say is what saved the hiker’s life.

The hanging bra was quickly spotted, once the line was repaired on Thursday, by some of the local loggers for obvious reasons. Luckily they had heard about the search for the missing hikers, and where quick to contact emergency rescue personnel. Rescue workers fallowed the line until they spotted the ledge where the unlucky hiker stood waving her uninjured arm.

"Just to have her wits about her to know that was her chance when that cable started to move is amazing," said Jessica's brother Jack. "After three days of boredom and absolute pain and panic. That's impressive."

"She's a very smart girl, and she acted very resourcefully," said a German police officer, Lorenz Rasp. "She kept her shirt and jacket for warmth, but thought the sports bra could work as a signal… She did so well because she is in very good shape. She has been training for a marathon - her goal is to finish in 3 hours and 10 minutes."

Bruinsma plans to return home from Germany to recover. Her family hopes to have her home by July once she is sufficiently well enough to travel. She expects to recover so she can finish her training for the marathon she had planed on running.

A hospital spokes person stated Bruinsma is being treated for Compartmental Syndrome and a fractured ankle but thinks she will be just fine.

Latest articles