Giant Spider Shocks Liverpool

Giant Spider Shocks Liverpool With a premeditated course consisting of numerous landmarks dotted across Liverpool, a 50 foot arachnid finally came down from its perch on the side of a vacant office building, towering over the watching crowds as it's legs carried it through the streets at a steady speed of 2 miles per hour.

'La Princesse', a giant steel and poplar wood machine created under the direction of French artist François Delarozière, is operated by twelve members of the group 'La Machine', who can be seen in photos and videos sitting atop their eight-legged mount as it makes its way across the city. With a price tag of £1.5 million, this attraction was sure to wow some spectators, while striking fear into the hearts of others, with its realistic and imposing appearance. With 50 axes of movement, it was designed to move exactly as a real spider would, adding realism and an eerily beautiful quality to the performance as the machine treks through Liverpool's streets, accompanied by a light classical piece.

Commissioned for the 2008 European Capital of Culture program, this creation was destined to attract tourism, much like the 36-foot tall 'Sultan's Elephant', previously created and operated by the same individuals. As Delarozière continues with his work, we can expect to see more of fantastic creations making headlines. A glimpse at 'La Princesse' can be seen here.

Latest articles