Boys Accused of Spiking Teacher's Coffee

Boys Accused of Spiking Teacher's Coffee Two teenage boys, ages 13 and 14 were expelled from their middle school and arrested on Monday for allegedly spiking a teacher’s coffee with a substance that sent her to the hospital, police and school officials commented.

The 39-year-old teacher fell ill at Sequoyah Middle School in Auburn, Washington shortly after taking a sip from her coffee. She became ill and had to call for another teacher to cover for her. Eventually, the unnamed teacher was taken to the hospital, but she managed to point out the two boys whom she had seen by her desk prior to the incident. As of today, she has been released from the hospital.

The boys boasted to classmates about the prank and after they were detained, they admitted they had spiked the teacher’s coffee with ipecac, syrup that is used to induce vomiting. Immediately after the confession, the boys were expelled and the King County Sheriff’s Office was called.

The boys were charged and booked into the Youth Center on charges of “introducing a noxious substance with intent to commit bodily harm”, which in Washington is a Class B felony. A Class B felony in Washington State carries a 10 year prison sentence and/or $20,000 fine. Letters were sent home to all of the students at the school. “We do not know the students’ intentions or underlying motives, but Washington State law is clear: an assault on a teacher is a felony”, the letter stressed. “Please speak with your students about the serious consequences that they face if they attempt to harm a teacher or a fellow student, or if they simply play a ‘joke’ that involves physical pain or distress to someone else.”

There have been no statements from either family of the accused and no news whether the two juveniles will be tried as adults.

Sources:
UPDATED: Teacher ill from spiked coffee, two teenage boys arrested
Crime Classification in Washington

Latest articles