House Destroyed in Landslide

House Destroyed in Landslide Earlier today I walked into math, sweating over unfinished homework. My teacher who is Canadian and proud of it, was playing a video from the news on the Smart-board that immediately caught my attention. Late Monday night in St. Jude Quebec, a family of four was killed in a landslide that destroyed their house. The cause of the slide is unknown, it left a sinkhole the size of four football fields. A driver caught unaware drove his truck into the hole, and five other houses nearby were evacuated, but other than the four fatalities there were no other casualties.

The family was in the basement watching a hockey game, a nightly tradition according to friends. After analyzing the scene, experts came to a conclusion that there was no way for the family to escape from the house. There were attempts to get into the house overnight, but were abandoned due to safety concerns. The rescue teams used helicopters and K9 teams in their search and brought heavy machinery to clear the mud and rubble. "After digging and going through the rubble we found the four victims," said Michel Dore, Quebec's emergency management co-ordinator. "They were found very close to one another, some of them lying on the couch in the family room in the basement."

Latest articles