Six Legged Octopus Found

Six Legged Octopus Found Henry, the hexapus, was found by English marine experts while searching for octopuses to bring to an exhibition. He has six legs opposed to the traditional eight found on your usual octopus.

Why is this strange? When octopodes get injured or hurt on one of their many legs, they have the ability to grow them back again. They grow back nearly identical to the missing one. The fact that Henry shows no signs of any growing limbs stumps scientists. Another fact opposing the idea of missing legs lost from injury is that there are no empty spaces where there would have been a leg. All six legs join together as eight should on a normal octopus.

What scientists can agree on is that he is missing two limb stems at the fault of a birth defect.

Henry is being held at The Blackpool Sea Life Centre in northwest England in a tank among normal octopodes.

The hexapus was just one of multiple other seemingly normal octopodes brought to the Sea Life Centre for a new exhibit, featuring them. Henry's odd condition was not even taken notice of until Henry suctioned himself against the glass and a visitor took the time to count his legs.

Henry’s name was given to him because of it’s alliteration with ‘hexapus’. The centre‘s marketing director was also heard saying, "It has also been mentioned in the grapevine that he was named after King Henry the VIII who had six wives when he should have had eight.”

Latest articles