Honors Student Punished For Buying Skittles

Honors Student Punished For Buying Skittles Michael Sheridan, an 8th grade honors student, got suspended for a day, banned from an honors student dinner and got his title as vice president of his class revoked as a result of buying Skittles from a peer.

Catherine Sullivan-DeCarlo, a school spokeswoman, said that in 2003 the New Haven school system banned the selling of candy.

However, Michael says he was not aware of this policy, and his mother, Shelli Sheridan, said her son just transferred to the school last year. Sheridan said the school told her the policy is only implied through a rule about selling candy as a fundraiser, but she does not believe this situation had anything to do with a fundraiser. Sheridan also says her son is a top student who has never had a detention. She says, in regards to the punishment, "It's too much. It's too unfair."

Michael's suspension was originally three days but has been reduced to one. On the other hand, his title as vice president has not been given back.

The student who sold Michael the candy from a lunchbox has been suspended as well.

When asked if he would ever eat Skittles again, Michael laughingly replied, "Yeah, just not in school."

Latest articles