Woman Offers Limb As Payment; Lawsuit Follows

Woman Offers Limb As Payment; Lawsuit Follows Krista and Chad Cooney of Fayette, PA, recently sued Comcast Corp. after a company employee posted the couple's monthly payment online.

The lawsuit states that the two subscribed to "Triple Play", a plan that covers phone, Internet, and television service for $99 a month. Much to the Cooney's surprise, however, the first bill came in charging the two for upwards of $295. Not having sufficient funds to cover the hefty price, the couple sent a check written for $267.86 with the intention of paying the remaining balance the following month.

The next month, after threats of suspended service, Mrs. Cooney wrote two checks: one to cover the bill and left over charge, and one paying "My Right Arm and Zero Dollars" for "Robbing Customers Blind".

Scrawled on the payment slip was "Some people do have a budget, you know."

The following month, on August 20th, the Cooney's were notified that the check had been emailed to individuals not employed by Comcast. A scanned image had been passed around for several weeks, containing explicit financial details such as Mrs. Cooney's home number, bank account number, signature, and address.

Comcast has declined to comment on the lawsuit.

The Cooney's believe that the company put them at severe risk of identity theft, and are suing for an undisclosed amount.

Latest articles