First Daughter Jenna Bush Begins National Book Tour

First daughter Jenna Bush begins national book tour. It seems only yesterday that Jenna bush was the rowdy teen with America under her father's belt, who's racy photographs were plastered all over tabloids and talked endlessly about on television programs such as The Soup and Late Night With Connor O'Brian

However, the First Daughter shed light on her darkened intellectual side, by means of her recently published book, "Ana's Story: A Journey of Hope".

The tour hitched off at a promising start in Annapolis, where a nervous Bush greeted the press and a number of enthusiastic fans.

"This is my first day, so I'm a little nervous," Bush told the press upon walking to her podium. "But I'm also very excited; Because I truly believe that my book has a story that needs to be told".

Jenna immediately lost all traces of anxiety as she was greeted with the subject of her book - a hard hitting, tear-jerker of a teen nonfiction narrative, about teenage mother Ana, who is stricken with HIV AIDS. Bush met Ana while working in a internship with UNICEF in Latin America.

"Ana changed my life. She's only 17 years old, but she's lived the life of somebody so much older," Bush told Borders, bookstores. "Despite her hardships, Ana is so much like the teenagers here in the United States. She reminds me of myself at that age."

The sad story of young Ana begins with her mother, who was also infected with AIDS during her pregnancy with Ana. Soon after, her mother died from the illness. Ana's father also perished from AIDS. She was raised by her Grandmother and other relatives, however she ended up in a juvenile detention facility after running away from home, to escape her grandmother's boyfriend, who had sexually molested her.

Ana became pregnant shortly after moving in with her boyfriend, who is also HIV positive.

Jenna Bush said she was "Extremely taken back" by the positivity and ambiance that radiated from Ana. Ana was nowhere short of ecstatic that she had not passed AIDS to her one and a half year old daughter.

Bush cannot keep in direct contact with Ana, due to the lack of technology and resources in Central American, but she has been quoted saying: "I have written her a letter, and sent her a copy of the book. She's very proud".

Ana's Story: A Journey of Hope is on bookshelves in the U.S, but has yet reached the U.K.

Latest articles