"Play that 916!" Second Installment

I thought I would stray away from telling you about a 916 band this week, and focus on some of the comments I have gotten going to the Punk shows I got to, but only for the beginning.

I want you to imagine this as hard as you can, honestly, and give me some feed back on this.

Imagine me walking into a venue. Can you see it? Okay, imagine the opening band playing their set, the mosh pit fully loaded and going, imagine my black and white My Chemical Romance t-shirt. Can you see the stares and glares of the “real punks” boring into my t-shirt.

I can. I’ve been there, done that. It’s horrible.

But, thankfully, there are some real kids… Some really good people who don’t care who you listen to, what you wear, what color your hair is, if you get good grades in school or not… All they care about is you and if you’re a good person and if you’re in it for the music.

But some of the comments hurt…

“You’re not a punk! You’re just a little scene kid!” or “Get out of here you little emo wannabe!”

The comments hurt, but the sure don’t burn. So if any of this happens to any of you, just ignore it. Don’t retaliate to the comments and let them belittle you, it just shows that you’ll stoop to their level every time they say something.

Anyway, let’s talk about some music! This week I’ll focus on Final Summation.

Jordon, Bear, and Kiel rock the stage every time I go out to see them. Jordon screams into the microphone and plays the hell out of that bass while Bear runs around the stage putting all of his energy into playing what they play. Kiel sits behind those drums and plays his little heart out. It’s truly a blast to see these guys play.

Final Summation has been rocking Sacramento for just about seven years. With their fast, screaming, playing so loud your ears are bleeding punk, you’ll surely have a good time listening to this band.

Burned out and over saturated are the first things that come to mind when thinking of music today. Hard work has been replaced by friend lists and bullshitting technique. Passion is close to extinct. Evolution has taken its toll in both good and bad directions. Ignorance is still as predominant as it ever was. Cliques rule, drama remains and everyone’s hometown sucks for one reason or another. Negativity and apathy shadow the landscape with no real signs of fading. Is it possible to create a new style or original piece non-comparable to something that came before? Is playing it safe the smart move? We don’t think so. We like to have fun, tour constantly and write the best songs we can and feel will stand the test of time to age well into forever. Whether that happens is up to your ears. Stay relaxed, keep an open mind and have a sense of humor because life is too short to let anything really get to you. That’s our ‘motto’ when on the road which is just about always. With seven years down and many more to go, hard work will always prevail over fame junkies. ‘This family has got the distinction of doing what they say they're gonna do. So whether you like it or not, learn to love it. Because we're gonna be here for a long, long time.’”, Taken from their Myspace, Jordon explains the reason why they are really in it.

So, that’s Final Summation!

For next week’s column, I want to do something special. I’m going to talk not about a Local Sacramento band, but a local California band. Check up on next week’s column for that!

Latest articles