Are People Too Close-Minded About Music?

Are People Too Close-Minded About Music? When we consider all this, there is just something that doesn't make sense. Why is it that some people feel they have to bash certain artists just because they might not "get" the music being played? There are so many different artists that express themselves - whether it be a political idea, a religious belief, or maybe they just want to put out something catchy and fun. Shouldn't we respect them for putting themselves out there?

For example, there are two artists who couldn't be more different from each other, that several people on this site like: Disney Channel star Miley Cyrus, and well known rock band My Chemical Romance. For both artists, fans have to deal with several close-minded people who feel that, since they don't like the music, they have to bash them. You can't go to YouTube without seeing My Chemical Romance referred to as "emo" and dark, or Miley Cyrus getting names on a similarly insulting level.

But there is one thing that I, and several others, just don't get - why is that? Why do people feel that if they don't like an artist, they must go out of their way to make people who do like them angry? Isn't it a good thing that all of us are different in our music tastes? It's just one of several things that makes us, as individuals, different from each other.

We weren't put in this world just so we could all march around like robots, not liking anything different from one another. We ARE different as people, and therefore we, as artists, will put out different types of music for each other. That also means that we, as people, will like different artists, depending on our backrounds, families, or possibly just instinct.

Maybe we should take this into consideration the next time one of us goes and starts to write a nasty comment about an artist. The artist, much like yourself, is expressing themselves in a way they know how to. The same way you might draw a picture, write out a short poem, or maybe even play your own music. They may put out stuff completely different from your personal preferences, but that's okay, because there will be people out there who will like it. And if another person is benefiting from it, than isn't that a good thing?

Latest articles