Classics: Are They Too Old? - Comments

  • bunyipboy

    bunyipboy (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    New Zealand
    I always knew the name "Charlie Chaplain" but I didnt know who he was until last Monday at uni.. he was talked about in (American studies: The screening of america in film and tv) and we watched some clips. He is phenomenal and I wish I had known of him sooner. He is one of the founding people of the movie industry and star system of today. He and (George Orwell's 'animal farm'- which I long to read!!!) should be far greater respected.
    July 22nd, 2009 at 05:22am
  • there

    there (350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Belarus
    I think classics should be held to the same standards as new material. Classics shouldn't get a free pass to goodness just because of their classicness.

    Look at the videogame community and old-school mario. It's a really horrible game, but people are still raving about it. Look up "best console ever" on urban dictionary and you'll get the SNES. If they would look at things without the nostalgia glasses on, they'd see a very different picture.

    "Yeah, I remember 16bit graphics. Jumping on turtles... throwing fireballs... those were the golden days; none of this 3-d shit. And plotlines? I hate plots! If "save the princess" was good enough for Mario, then it's good enough for everyone else."

    Yeah, right.

    I think that the entertainment industry has been steadily improving. When I watch shows like Three's company and I Love Lucy, I don't even laugh. Their quality has been long surpassed.
    January 14th, 2009 at 06:43pm
  • Bast

    Bast (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    Me loveses Chaplin (his silent movies mostly; his talkies actually got steadily worse, you'll find). But you know that already. =P I agree, I wish people would give the old black&white movies a chance - I know a lot of people who are like "EWWW B&W" or the next minute it's "EWWW SILENT FILMS" when most of them have probably never even seen a silent film. Now it's "EWWW ANIMATION" because of course animated movies are for little children.

    Man, you should've mentioned good-old classic hand-drawn animation. Those were the days. =P
    January 3rd, 2009 at 07:07pm
  • crappyloveballad

    crappyloveballad (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Dude.

    I know girls in my class who don't even know who Julius Caesar are, let alone Charlie Chaplin.

    I myself do enjoy the older stuff (Yeah Beachboys!)
    But I still find them a little dull sometimes. After a thirty minute and completely intense chase scene it's hard to find the thrill in a silent movie, but that doesn't mean I won't watch it.

    nice article.
    October 12th, 2008 at 01:12am
  • Spanish Lullaby

    Spanish Lullaby (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    The clasics are and always will be amazing. I've read Gone With the Wind twice and seen the movie 4.5 times, and yet my friends gave me puzzled looks, wondering how I could bear to read such an old book, and a long one at that. The truth? It doesn't matter how old something is, if it;s really good, it will find relevence and an audience in amy time period after its initial release,
    October 4th, 2008 at 05:42am
  • xXNightmarishXx

    xXNightmarishXx (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I don't see how The Outsiders is an old book. Wasn't it written in the late sixties or seventies?
    And regardless of when it was written, The Outsiders is still an awesome book.
    August 20th, 2008 at 02:53am
  • Kmart.

    Kmart. (205)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Classics are amazing. I hate some of the stuff that modern society puts out there. Like those stupid dating shows mentioned, or books like [i]The Clique[/i]. They're very unoriginal.
    August 20th, 2008 at 02:32am
  • TalkingIsMyLife

    TalkingIsMyLife (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Some of my favorite movies of all time are black and whites: 'Alexander's Ragtime Band', 'It's a Wonderful Life', and 'The Gay Divorce' are among them. However, when I mention these titles to my friends, about 95% have no idea what I am talking about. Some of the most famous and timeless actors and actresses are being forgotten, and their legacies are being pushed aside by people such as Paris Hilton and Brad Pitt.
    If someone was to ask a child still in school (kindergarten-high school) who Tyrone Powers, Fred Austair, Jane Powell, Grace Kelly, or Ginger Rogers was, most would shurg and claim they didn't know. But if asked about Angelina Jolie or Orlando Blooms, they would instantly snap their fingers and recite the newest article of People or Seventeen. What ever happened to glamorous movie stars? What happened to when modesty was key? Will people in the future look back and forget about classic movies and books, and only remember our 'fashionable' celebrities?
    News flash: the age of black-and-white is being forgotten, and pretty soon they will no longer exist. Look at Disney! Forgotten are the days of fairytales, now we have High School Musicals and secret lived pop stars!!
    August 18th, 2008 at 08:19am
  • WayWord

    WayWord (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    i finished reading animal farm in july and it's really good and easy to read..there's a lot of symbolism and not just about the soviets either
    as for the outsiders, if i had never read that book i don't think i would have started writing about similiar subjects
    great article
    August 11th, 2008 at 06:41pm
  • flaws.

    flaws. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    i was reading 1984 by george orwell this year, and one of my friends actually said to me 'why would you want to read about something like that?' and proceeded to talk about big brother.

    when i tried to explain that without that book, there wouldn't BE a big brother, she just laughed at me.

    this is a really good article, and i agree with pretty much all of it :)
    August 3rd, 2008 at 04:26pm
  • James the Pious

    James the Pious (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I completely agree, Every one should read the communist manifesto and priade and prejudice!
    July 31st, 2008 at 02:47pm
  • graveyard_ghost

    graveyard_ghost (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I love this article. The classics are what set way and influenced the popular things we have today. More people should learn to appreciate and enjoy them!
    July 28th, 2008 at 12:51am
  • Holly.Is.Retro

    Holly.Is.Retro (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Very nice article.
    I love watching I Love Lucy and Green Acres.
    Animal Farm was and still is a great classic novel.
    Unfortunately, people are just more amazed at what movies can do now more than the actual conflicts in most older shows and books.
    Also, there are some people that just don't find them interesting.
    July 27th, 2008 at 10:57pm
  • Draco_Familiar

    Draco_Familiar (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I wove this article.
    July 24th, 2008 at 12:40am
  • wiccan-kitten

    wiccan-kitten (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I've heard of Animal Farm, but that's something my dad would read not me. It has nothing to do with age or such..but tastes. I like my mystery romance stuffs.

    Although what I consider a classic (though not as widely known) is Doctors of Death by Phillipe Aziz
    (I have all four original volumes XD)
    now, when I think classics.. I think classics.

    My classic readings?
    The Odyssey (reading it right now)
    Also things like Shakespeare (Which i oddly understand for the most part)

    I don't know about the 20s.. but.. I love older shows (b&w)
    Like, the original three stooges, andy griffith, gunsmoke.. well.. it may not be classic either..but i like alot of b&w shoes

    Though for horror, mystery, and etc.. I prefer more modern as it's more believe-able.
    July 22nd, 2008 at 05:54am
  • wet::foot::blues

    wet::foot::blues (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    yaaay.
    I Love 'I Love Lucy"!!
    It's hilarious,
    and then I turn the channel to some lame catroon that everyone is watching,
    that really isn't even that funny.


    THANK YOU.
    great article!!
    July 17th, 2008 at 10:32pm
  • St_Atrocity

    St_Atrocity (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    ....what kind of kid doesn't know Animal Farm???.....
    I mean, seriously! That book was my favorite part of eigth grade (....or was it 7th??)
    I LOVE the classic movies/shows. They make me giggle. =]]
    They shall last forever. I will make sure of it when I take over the world.

    This made me think......iPod Nano is the new record player, lol xD
    July 16th, 2008 at 09:30pm
  • Static Age

    Static Age (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I loved, loved, loved this article.
    Charlie Chaplin is hilarious. And I know what you mean, I was talking about him this past year actually in my history class and only six people knew what I was talking about. Sad.
    I can't believe that kid had never heard of Animal Farm. Jeez.
    I love older books/movies/shows...etc. Especially [i]I Love Lucy[/i] and [i]The Dick Van Dye Show[/i] XD
    It's sad how these old classics are just being forgotten. :(

    Again, awesome article! :D
    July 16th, 2008 at 08:49pm
  • AntsInMyPants101

    AntsInMyPants101 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    i like to focus on the future not the past but the classics have importsnt lessons that are not taought in todays movies or tv shows or books
    unless they are for little kids but teens need to be learned today
    July 16th, 2008 at 08:37pm
  • Joey Jordison

    Joey Jordison (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Give ma a vintage book/TV show/picture etc etc and a modern one, and I would pic the vintage one everytime.
    I love old!
    Great article.
    July 16th, 2008 at 06:55pm