Bon Jovi: Still Keeping the Faith

Bon Jovi: Still Keeping the Faith More than twenty years and over 120 million albums later, Bon Jovi is still rocking the mainstream radio stations. The infamous rock quartet hailing from Sayreville, New Jersey has been together since the mid-80s, sucking it up when times got hard, and putting out hit after head-banging hit. No one can deny their success in the rock genre, and whether you love to hate them or hate to love them, their talent is undeniable and they've outlived dozens of bands, both figuratively and literally speaking. With monster hits like Livin' on a Prayer and Bad Medicine, 'the boys from Jersey' have definitely found the ultimate fountain of youth for rock stars.

Country music.

Yes, you read right. Country music. The immortal, story-telling genre is a far cry from the big hair, leather pants and exposed pectorals of the 80s glam rock era. Now, I could name off dozens of legendary country singers, but I'll limit it to a few key artists: Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, Dolly Parton, Roy Orbison. These trailblazers of the country genre had - and continue to have - fruitful careers, paving the way for newer acts, brimming with ambition and spunk. Generation after generation has contributed to the genre and Bon Jovi is no exception.

In 2006, Who Says You Can't Go Home, a lyrical success from front man, Jon Bon Jovi and lead guitarist, Richie Sambora, cinched the top spot on the country charts and held onto it for two consecutive weeks. It was the first time a rock crossover hit had reached so high on the country lists.

"I knew that the song had great crossover appeal, and we were just trying to find the right voice to complement mine", says Jon of the single. They had originally recruited Keith Urban to do the duet, but when similarities in their voices became apparent, they decided a woman was the way to go. Jennifer Nettles, front woman for the band Sugarland, was recommended by Luke Lewis, head of the Universal Music Group's Nashville division. And the rest, as they say, is history.

"The greatest compliment that I could give her is that she made the song her own", Bongiovi said of their collaboration. "She really just captured the essence of the lyric... She really took ownership in our words, and I appreciated that because you get rather particular about the way the story has to come across, as a songwriter. Sometimes I've written songs for other people, and if they don't tell the story the way you felt it, it may have a whole different meaning".

It's evident that not only did Nettles hold her own with the rock legends, but she infused her own flare into it, and I'm sure it's safe to say, it sold.

For years, country music has acted as a bridge and a barrier between careers in music and even movies. It is a timeless genre that will never lose its appeal. Its sounds are now more contemporary, soliciting to a larger audience, while still staying true to its sweet Southern roots. Country fans are some of, if not, the biggest diehards out there. They are the most loyal when it comes to music. They continue to purchase actual albums and overlook the new-fangled option of iTunes, instant songs for a small fee of 99ยข each. They find true satisfaction in buying the full length CD; a satisfaction that many of us have forgotten all about. We as a society have compromised our passion for music with the convenience of its instantaneous attainability. Therefore, it's easy to see how strategic a career move crossing over to country music is. Kudos to the triumphant.

It's safe to say that nobody does music like 'the boys' and nobody does business quite like them either. They've never conformed to meet the demands of anyone and have always stayed true to themselves, all the while slowly morphing throughout the decades to this point in time. They truly do 'keep the faith.' We're now in the 2000s and the band is as popular as ever. With a new CD and four other Nashville-infused singles burning up the charts, Bon Jovi is still at the top of their game, and it's apparent that they don't plan on slowing their roll anytime soon.

Latest articles