Has Rap Music Gone Too Far? - Comments

  • I don't normally listen to rap because I rarely can distinguish the lyrics from the beats and music. So I can't really account for the lyrics being dirty, though, to be perfectly honest, I know most are.

    I do, however, know for certain that the music videos are degrading to women. That being said, I have to agree with an earlier person and say that those girls in the video could have just walked off set.

    So maybe rap music has gone too far.
    But there's also the other genres of music that swear and degrade just as much.


    Anyway...freedom of expression.
    August 11th, 2008 at 04:39pm
  • I think there's a lot of shitty music and shitty lyrics whatever genre you visit right now. In regards to the mainstream, anyway. We mustn't forget that a lot of rock music is just as degrading and mindless- the idea of groupies and violence is regularly glamorised. Like you say, there are some very intelligent and genuinely beautiful rap tracks.

    I'd also just like to say well done- this article was a hell of a lot more balanced than most articles i see on here these days. *rolls eyes(
    August 11th, 2008 at 04:29pm
  • Frankly I despise rap and everything about it. The old school rap and the meaninful rap songs I will leave alone ebcause that's what they are, they aren't this trashy shit that degrades women, encourages teen pregnancy, violence, and drug addictions. Rappers wo rpa about that shot be shot because they're just idiots who should never have made it in the music world.
    August 11th, 2008 at 04:19pm
  • as much as a hate rap and agree with u on everythin u've pointed out, I do think that many genere's of music includes a sexual content and rap does include more of this anyway, but yeah genre like club music can b very degrading ans sexual as well as rap.

    I do really detest rap music though. I never understand a word they say and shizzle. its not catchy.
    August 11th, 2008 at 04:17pm
  • Rap annoys the crap out of me. I just can't stand the way it sounds. Even though there are a lot of sexual rap songs, there are a lot of rock songs that take it too far. But it seems like everytime I flip through the channels and stop on a rap video, there's always a slutty girl grinding against a rapper with a drink in his hand.
    August 11th, 2008 at 04:12pm
  • MOST songs present at times are pretty much, bad. They are like about sex, drugs, and booze. Who would want to have a child who sings, "^$#$$@#@#!"
    We cannot just warn the rap genre, we should warn all of them including rock, etc. The artists want to share their ideas but they have to make sure that it's not too much for the ears..
    August 11th, 2008 at 02:43pm
  • yes rap does have a lot of vulgarity but so does rock. hello, the bands name is say anything, and cute is what we aim for, oh and let not forget panic at the discos one song. Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off, thats just not true at all! anyway, i believe that if you don't like rap dont listen to it. but dont snob your nose off at other people because they like that type of music. i listen to all kinds of music and ive valued something from all of them. also, old school rap is best!
    August 11th, 2008 at 02:23pm
  • Most rap - in my opinion is about sex, drugs and booze. Which I don't see as meaningful at all. But some of them really have meaning to them, I can't think of one from the top of my head because I don't listen to rap. But I know that there are some out there.
    August 11th, 2008 at 01:52pm
  • Dear Maria, Count Me In--I want to fuck you like an animal. I called her on the phone and she touched herself. Wir wollten nur reden.

    I agree, rap seems to have many vulgarities, but they are simply more blunt and upfront with it than many rock artists these days. Rock music contains just as many sexual innuendos embedded in the music. I enjoy a good rap song once in a while because the beat is just fun to dance to.
    August 11th, 2008 at 01:46pm
  • I have to agree.
    Countries are banning rock music which is stupid.
    Because it's really the rap music that needs to be fixed.

    And yeah, 2pac has meaningful lyrics.
    So does Eminem,
    well his older stuff from the Marshall Mathers LP andd The Eminem Show.
    He's my favorite rapper and always has been.(:
    August 11th, 2008 at 01:28pm
  • I gotta say rap has gone alittle over the edge. My cousin takes Eminem and 50 Cent as his idols from their songs that have inapropriate stuff and insults. And he taught my 8 year old brother the meaning of each and every word in these songs. I was shocked when I see my little brother saying these stuff to me. Really, some artists take rap music for granted.
    August 11th, 2008 at 01:05pm
  • I think that this article is complete bullshit & you shouldn't take music so seriously because it aint the bible.
    & why you got to choose to shit all over rap? Rock music can be just a explicit and vulgar.

    =/
    August 11th, 2008 at 11:17am
  • I don't get why we can't just leave other genres/labels alone. :shifty
    If you look, a lot of rappers don't just rap about sex, drugs, and money.
    Eminem, Fort Minor, 2pac to name a few.
    August 11th, 2008 at 10:45am
  • most rap music is just degrading right out frount but then you have some that disguise what in the world they are talking about.I personally think that rap is retards attempt at poetry most of the time.
    August 11th, 2008 at 10:32am
  • I personally have to agree and disagree,

    I agree because well, alot of the lyric is degrading and uses words that ... to some shouldn't even exist. But the music is not what's the problem, it's the temptation. Kids, like myself, are the n ext generation, and to me, bad things call to me, sometimes I can restrain my self.

    There is also the point where some kids don't listen to lyric, they just like the song, and who are we stop them from enjoying what was given to us as a source of entertainment.

    When we have the music in our heads, or we hear it on the radio, or even the music video, it occurs to me that yes, some thing might happen due to the influence and the messae the music gives us, but, when you think about it, the choice is ours. No one can actually stop us from doing something except ourselves.
    August 11th, 2008 at 08:58am
  • Well to tell the truth, it's mainly modern day music, regardless of whether it's genre is Rap.
    August 11th, 2008 at 08:17am
  • Personally I don't like rap besides a few artists--Snoop and 2pac. Rap is usually just talking really fast to pre-recorded beats, which I don't think is music. And the lyrics that degrade woman are another reason why I don't like it.

    I do agree that rock lyrics have suicide and all that jazz but singing is harder than talking fast, and the use of instruments is nice.

    So yeah, modern rap has gone too far.
    August 11th, 2008 at 07:58am
  • Actually the reason when 'Parental Advisory' exsists is because of Heavy Metal.

    :]
    August 11th, 2008 at 07:53am
  • I think that some of the modern rap has gone too far, but the old rap is mostly good. Most old rap was about dancing and just having fun and modern rap is mostly about sex. But then again, it would just be hypocritical to not check out some of the lyrics in rock songs that are giving the same message.
    August 11th, 2008 at 07:49am
  • I agree with the fact that rap in general has reach it's lowest. lollipop is a disgusting name for a song anyway cause we all know that hes not talking about a green apple blow pop you buy at the corner store with your mom's extra change. I just find it odd that critics are quick to judge rock bands and pop artists for tongue and cheek comments in songs or "demonizing our youth" when really they should look at rap music and say "enough is enough!"

    The origin of rap music is slowly diminishing and we're left with "gangsters" making their cat-calls into songs expecting women to enjoy it and want to be with them, now that's what I call subliminal messaging, but really, who's to judge?
    August 11th, 2008 at 07:34am