Michael Phelps Sets New Record

Michael Phelps Sets New Record Michael Phelps, age 23, sets a new record in Olympic history, making his eleventh gold medal. This makes him the most decorated athlete in the world. Coming into the Beijing Olympics 2008, he made a goal to break as many records as he could, and he's done it.

Earning his first gold for this Olympic Season with his first race, it was obvious to the crowd that he wasn't going to slack off at any point. Earlier today, he broke his own record for the 200-meter butterfly, zipping past his competitors in a flash of splashing water and wet suit. This didn't please him as he was hoping to shave down his time by more than a second. This disappointment was later diminished when he and his three other teammates-- Ryan Lochte, Peter Vanderkaay, and first time Olympian, Ricky Berens beat the other teams in the 4x200 meter free.

Phelps was first, setting off at an amazing pace, putting Team USA at least five seconds ahead of the others. Lochte was next, faltering slightly, but staying ahead. Ricky held his own, keeping steadily ahead of the rest. And then there was Vanderkaay, leaving the others in a trail of rippling water behind him. Approximately 5 seconds was stripped from the world record, setting a new and more difficult one to beat.

That was Phelps' eleventh Olympic medal. An amazing feat for the young, two time Olympian. From Athens, a 19 year old Michael Phelps would probably look at this years Olympics and say, "No way. That couldn't happen." But as he goes for his twelfth, thirteenth, and fourteenth medal on Wednesday, he is sure to break more records in the future. Medal count is as follows. In Athens 2004, he earned 6 gold medals. Fantastic for a first time Olympian. Beijing 2008, 5 gold medals with possibly more on the way.

Michael Phelps has been given the title 'The Best Swimmer In The World' and it isn't that hard to see why. This man has made the United States of America very proud. His hard work and determination has not gone to waste, and I'm sure we all hope to see him in four more years, swimming on Team USA once again.

Latest articles