Music: Saving Lives or Generic Entertainment? - Comments

  • Thank you. I really like this article because people are always bashing music that they don't understand.
    February 8th, 2009 at 10:39am
  • This is a great piece. It's so strongly written. I think that's exactly what the fans [b]should[/b] - but don't necessarily - stand for. I agree with everything you've covered in it. I think, that's mostly how I feel. The phrase, to some people however it is, is not over-used. It's perfectly fair. It can't be over-used because it sticks for a lot of people. And myself for example, I went through a horrible period with my former best friend. I'm not going to go into details. But then I was reunited with a girl I knew years ago and she introduced me to My Chemical Romance - a way to move forward. They helped me through the pain, and now I'm in a much better place, thanks to Amber Kennedy. If it weren't for her re-appearance I don't know how I would be right now. So it was partly them, just for Amber being there. I was able to talk about it without the memories gushing back, and because of the lyrics I knew I definitely wasn't alone.
    December 20th, 2008 at 12:17pm
  • This is a great article :] Music really do help you, but it all matters on how much you depend on it. It's a way to express yourself, let all the pain out letting others know they're not alone.
    December 11th, 2008 at 10:18pm
  • Okay so I think I love you.
    Joking.
    But this article basically sums up everything that's been running circles in my head for months. Wraps it up in a tight little bow.
    I'm sick of my art teacher. He's different and people think I get along with him, but whenever he suggests a band they really are nothing to be desired. Then he rips on MCR. That's not okay. If he knew the bull I've walked through he'd see something different. I want other people to see that too.
    Brion is half right. Half of someones will to live is from sheer self decision. But like I said. Half right. The other half comes straight from music. It gives people the will to live.
    So I really liked this article. Keep writing.
    December 3rd, 2008 at 01:24am
  • Honestly, I used to be just like you, depending on a group of people that played music and whom I had never met. They once filled me with inspiration to go and do things. But no one can save you but yourself. Sure, they can help for therapeutic things, but all of those things you did by yourself.
    August 11th, 2008 at 05:13am
  • I love your article. People tell me all the time that I'm an idiot because I say music changed my life. They tell me that bands (like My Chem.) are only in it for the music/money/don't care about what the fans feel, as long as they have fans. And it gets me so upset because they don't even know! They don't know the fear that someone will laugh or not get it. The fear that they'll just scream 'EMO' in your face and walk away for the last time. To me, music is my freedom to understand/express/cry/whatever, without having a response. Songs are like answers to me.

    Ugh, now I'm getting too deep. So, I'll stop here.
    And I just wanted to thank you so much for saying what I couldn't say, really.
    August 8th, 2008 at 10:02pm
  • It was a great article, I must say I agree to you. There was a period I felt really depressed and I felt like I couldn't tell my friends at all, they would just laugh. Now I know that they won't, but one of the reasons that I got through that period is because I listened to music. I isolated myself in my room, I almost didn't speak, but my friends didn't realize it. Not totally, they just commented that I had changed a lot. And because of my stupidity for not telling anyone, I had to go through it alone. Or the music helped me. It made me realize that there does exist people in the world who have much more problems than I do or had. I won't say that it was all because of the music I went through it, a lot of other factors played a roll in it too. But it helps to listen to the music. It helps when you feel all alone.

    I could ramble forever and go in more details about how my depressed period was, but I don't think that is what commenting are for. Now I'm able to talk to my friends about how I feel and they can talk to me. I feel like we got closer to each other when we first started to talk how we felt deep inside. So I'm very grateful to the music and my friends.
    Now I'm done rambling! Again, I agree.
    July 27th, 2008 at 12:58am
  • I do agree with a lot of your points; for me it's less 'they saved my life' and more that generally, music got me through some tough times, especially Funeral for a Friend, Lostprophets and My Chemical Romace. At the last MCR gig I went to, I cried during Cancer, and I know there were a lot of people sheding tears in the audience too, just because Gerard said "this is for anyone whose been affected by cancer"

    But there is one thing I'd like to say, regarding this:

    "It may not seem like it but we are more confident than the people who follow the fashions and do what the magazines tell them to do. Why? Because we're different and proud of it. "

    How can you make a judgement like that? I have friends in mixed catagories, I know people who do follow the magazines and fashions in them the same way some people follow bands, copying their clothes & styles - in truth, I don't think you can say "we're more confident than them" because, well, you also speak about being proud to be different. Well, people who you describe there are different from you - it doesn't matter what you follow if you're happy with yourself and...OK I'm rambling, but basically that's what I wanted to say.

    Other than that, a good article
    July 25th, 2008 at 03:48pm
  • I'm proud to say that Green Day's American Idiot album saved my life.
    July 16th, 2008 at 03:22pm
  • I couldnt agree more. Music, especially MCR, helped me to continue living in this world.
    July 8th, 2008 at 09:52am
  • I really do agree with this article and I wish you would show it to the idiots claiming that my chemical romance are part of the 'suicidal emo cult' full of angsty teens that want to kill themselves, it's offensive to the band (not to mention emo's who are not angst-ridden teens) and stupidly ignorant that the acusing adults don't even take the time to listen to the music they are putting down. Thank you so much for writing this article ^_^
    June 27th, 2008 at 09:09pm
  • *slogan
    May 25th, 2008 at 10:56pm
  • Agreed.
    Even websites promote this form of death prevention.
    The solgan of absolutepunk.net is "Music Mends Broken Hearts"
    Music has an undeniable healing power that tends to work when nothing else will.
    May 25th, 2008 at 10:56pm
  • This is very true. Bands including MCR save people's lives. They are an inspration to everyone everywhere. This band, 5 random guys that don't know I exist, can help me get through the day whole, discourage me from from cutting (that has happened twice) they are impotant to me.
    May 17th, 2008 at 06:28am
  • I completely agree. I could list several bands that have saved from from getting depressed to the point of suicide, but that would take way too much time. Although I think most problems regarding depression and suicidal thoughts run a lot deeper than that, music helps. I might not be here without Green Day, My Chemical Romance, AFI, Linkin Park...the list is pretty long, and my two best friends.

    My theory is that music is an anti-depressant, if you know the right song or band. Most of the bands I said above have at least one song that people can heavily relate to in a bad situation, like 'I'm Not Okay' or 'Runaway.' Others look for hope, like 'Famous Last Words' or 'Good Riddance.' It also helps if you have music that holds meaning to you at night while you're sleeping, I've found if it triggers good memories you get good dreams.

    Just a little bit of advice :]
    May 17th, 2008 at 04:29am
  • Wow, like everyone else said, not enough time to read it all, but i skimmed and i agree about as much as physically possible. I'm in the same situation as you in fact, without My Chem, I wouldn't be here. And everyone has tried to get me away from their "negative influence" but only the fans can understand what really goes on. I think that the article is a bit bias, but the side which it leans towards is probably the better.

    So, good job!
    May 17th, 2008 at 03:01am
  • I haven't read all of this because atm I don't have the time, but from what I have read of it, this is really good. And it' true, music [i]does[/i] save lives. It may be different ands for different people, but music has definitely saved some of my friends, and me as well ,to some extent, and for that I am thankful. I'm not sure what I would do without music, or the people it has saved. Well done with this!!
    April 24th, 2008 at 10:57am
  • That was so fucking long, I couldn't read all of it. But, what I did read, i think music is important.
    April 10th, 2008 at 04:11am
  • In my opinion music is very important. I listen to it when I’m feeling happy, sad, or just when I’m in the mood. Music, I can’t say that it hasn’t saved my life but it still is a great part of it. As you go through life your likes and dislikes of music change. You start out listening to that very peppy, family jolly music and then you start going to school and you conform a little and start to listen to the stile that your parents seem to enjoy. Then you hit that time in you life that you parents just want you to “Turn that damn music down!” and this is where you start to change. You will either be that rebellious teen listening to screamo or your own style. For me my dad is strange he likes listening to most of the same things I do. We listen to alternative rock. Like Breaking Benjamin, Hoobastank, and a lot of bands that you’ll never find their t-shirts in stores. So has music saved my life, I would have to say it hasn’t. But what it has done is show me more about myself.
    March 18th, 2008 at 04:16pm
  • I don't know what to think. I've come to the realization that it's a 50/50 type of thing. There has to be something more that keeps one waking up in the morning and it's more than just the music. The music helps a lot. For me it helped in the way that I felt I belonged to some part of group or people in this world. I didn't feel so alone anymore. But I think something more holds one back from say...suicide. I mean I'm not discrediting any bands because some really do deserve the credit to an extent. They keep us hanging. They help us belong. But the question is did they really save our lives or are we not giving ourselves enough credit?

    P.S.

    Ah Dae you totally killed the whole '*insert band here* saved my life'.
    February 24th, 2008 at 01:58pm