Hannah Montana a Bad Role Model?

Hannah Montana a Bad Role Model? Hannah Montana is America’s newest sweetheart. Disney’s newest pop teen sensation can be found on anything and mostly everything from school supplies to clothing and even on candy. Miley Cyrus (the actress of Hannah Montana) has been recently engaged in scandalous photos which have been made famous over the world-wide web. She had made her image a clean one claiming to love Jesus and that she is a Christian. But recently she has made poor choices destroying her image. Miley, who is the mere age of fifteen, has posed for Vanity Fair with only a blanket covering her front. She has taken pictures of herself in underwear, and of her lying bed, this kind of behavior should not come from role model of young children. Each new picture and behavior of the teen pop star has an “explanation,” she may be a teenager in today’s world and wants to be a “normal” teenager. That is not proper behavior not just for Miley Cyrus but for anyone who is a known role model for teens. Her stage name (Hannah Montana) is known world wide, and Miley Cyrus herself as a singer is famous. It is time for Miley to step up and realize how she has the influencing power over younger adolescents.

April 25th, 2008 Miley Cyrus appeared wrapped in a satin bed sheet of the popular magazine Vanity Fair. The controversy was not if Annie Leibovitz’s photo should be considered as “art”, but if photograph’s pose and essence destroys the image of Miley Cyrus (aka. Hannah Montana). Miley fosters a young adolescent fan-base that worships her; this is not what behavior Disney expects from their rising star.

According to PEOPLE magazine:
“ Though Cyrus's parents left before the final shot, with Miley supposed to be appearing topless, the source said: "Miley's grandmother and her teacher were there when she shot it. Annie convinced them it was going to be artistic.”

Why is the blame falling on to the photographer? There were adults present who both could have denied the shoot, and Miley herself could have said no. Disney and Miley both made formal apologizes, however these are not the only pictures that have been released of the young pop star.

Vanity Fair was not the first incident to happen with Miley Cyrus and inappropriate photographs. A few months before in January of 2008, pictures were released of Miley and her blonde friend at a hotel sharing a piece of licorice with their mouths. These pictures were dubbed as “lesbian.” A few weeks later more photos were released of her in her bathing suit in a hot tub and her with her friends. April of 2008 more photos were leaked to the internet of her with her boyfriend exposed in less-than-modest clothing, another picture of her pulling down her tank top to reveal a green bra. The worst has yet to come; most recently pictures of Miley were taken with her bra-less in bed, and another with her standing in her underwear holding up her shirt to reveal her stomach. There are even slide shows on YouTube.com of “Miley Cyrus Nude Photos!” Miley has not been releasing these pictures herself; these have been taken by a hacker who allegedly broke into her phone. The pictures were suppose to stay “private” says Miley. The real question is “Why is she taking these photos at all?” These pictures may be normal for some teenage girls but not for a mutli-million dollar Disney role model, who is supposedly up holding a “wholesome” and “Christian” image.

In the digital age of computers there are websites such as MySpace, and Facebook there are many inappropriate pictures of users posted on these websites. In blogs such as CrazyDaysandCrazyNight.net users say that “she is just having a good time” and some even say “she is just being a normal teenager.” But the fact remains that Miley is not a normal teenager. She is not a normal high school student who has a MySpace and posts pictures of her and her friends both appropriate and inappropriate. She is a young actress who needs to be aspiring to reach for higher goals. Disney wants her maintain her wholesome image. Young children see her everyday on TV as Hannah Montana as well as in other merchandise. An argument is that young children do not understand what is happening. However, children do have incite on Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus by simply using the internet. Google has exactly 22,500,000 links for Hannah Montana. (0.17 seconds) and 31,700,000 link for Miley Cyrus. (0.16 seconds). If a younger child was researching it would not be very difficult to find these pictures. Miley is also showing the world what is happening to younger generations, becoming more revealing and decrease in morals.

Most of these pictures of Miley are considered “normal” for teenage girls of fifteen. In this case America’s sweetheart is not a normal teenager; she is a role model for these generations. Young children should not be exposed to raunchy photos in underwear or bathing suits. This shows how the values and morals are deteriorating in today’s society. Each mistake has an excuse for her actions Vanity Fair she was “manipulated.” Pictures of herself in underwear, and of her lying bed, were “private” and not suppose to be released. These actions have a negative impact on the adolescents. Younger children see Hannah Montana everyday, and is this what parents want their children to be exposed to? It is time that Miley Cyrus cleans up her act and starts acting like the “wholesome Christian” that she claims to be.

Latest articles