So You Got The Gig? What Now?

So You Got The Gig? What Now? Okay so I have to spend time doing something on this plane so I thought, why not write a random Indie Tip?

I have no idea what I’m going to write it on but it’s worth a shot, right? So maybe we’ll start with talking about choosing a set-list for your show.

First thing you want to do is to find a number of songs that you enjoy performing as well as get a good reaction from anyone that has listened to or watch you perform live already.

The first song is always the song that gets people pumped and ready for the next songs to come. Try using a song with a very powerful intro, loud riffs, and anthem like lyrics. Sometimes a fan favorite is just the key to raise the energy more than what the opening band has brought it to.

After the Introduction, the songs you choose are up to you, but be careful because if you choose a song that isn’t performed well or just isn’t as exciting as the first, you might lose the crowd.

If you do lose the crowd, one way to get them back is to play a single or a song that you know they have heard before. The most popular songs can ether be saved for last, or in the middle of your set. If you have a band that isn’t familiarized by the audience then maybe it’s best if you use it to gain the attention because you’ll most likely lose the crowd sooner than you think. If you are well known, you’re most popular song can be used last so that the audience has something to remember or you can use it as an accent piece, almost like icing on a cake.

Depending on your style of music, playing the right kind of venue is also an aspect to look at. You wouldn’t want to be a pop band playing a venue that’s well known for playing the heaviest metal around. The only exception to this tip is when you are playing a town that has limited venues to play in. Providence for instance only has two major venues for all ages shows, Lupo’s Heartbreak Hotel, and The Living Room. Unless you are we internationally known band you probably won’t be playing The Civic Center, now called the Dunkin Donuts Center in Downtown Providence. Sure there are plenty more venues to play in, but these 3 places are the best you can find.

Also, when choosing supporting acts, the choice is yours because it’s your show. If you are chosen as a support act for someone else’s show, you need to focus on energizing the crowd for the main act. Oh, and when your choosing bands to play with, this is the perfect time to call connections and friends in other bands. Maybe you’ve met a band on tour at one time and you know that the city you’re playing in likes them, o-the-more reason to call them up to set up a show.

Setting up a show requires a lot from a person, particularly a tour manager. If you don’t have one, don’t worry because sometimes eliminating the middle man is best for the band. If you do have one, or want one, a friend who is knowledgeable of the music Industry and touring will do just fine or having a record label that provides one for you is even better. Like Avenged Sevenfold, early in their careers, M. Shadows’ current girlfriend, Valery Dibenedetto was their tour manager.

Talking about a tour manager, If you really want one and don’t have a label or friends that could help. I, Jenn from the Indie Tip is very knowledgeable in the music Industry and would like to become a tour manager. Though I’m only 17 (just until September 17) and a girl, I will ensure you that I am just as qualified as any other beginning tour manager.

Okay now that I’m done with my plug, the end of The Indie Tip #5 is complete. And as usual, don’t hesitate to email The Indie Tip at indietip101@gmail.com.

Latest articles