Two Legends: Harry Potter vs. Twilight

Two Legends: Harry Potter vs. Twilight Back in 1997, J.K. Rowling released the first novel in the legendary series, Harry Potter. In the ten years following that first release, Harry Potter morphed from a bedtime story to a 7 part saga following the drama, action, and romance of the teenage wizard, Harry Potter. Rowling's detailed and intriguing writing style leaves readers on the edge of their seats with every page turn.

Harry doesn't know he's a wizard until he receives a letter in the mail inviting him to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. At the school, he meets his best friends, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. He also meets some enemies like Draco Malfoy, Professor Snape, and the Dark Lord Voldemort. In his seven years at Hogwarts he experiences every adventure you could possibly imagine.

In my own personal opinion, I call the Harry Potter series a classic and anyone with any interest in fantasy or magic should definitely read them. They're extremely exciting and well-written books.

In 2005, the first book of Stephenie Meyer's vampire series, Twilight, was released. Now, three years later there are four books in the series. These stories follow the supposedly "average" life of teenage girl, Bella, until her life gets turned around by the hot and mysterious vampire, Edward.

I couldn't tell you much about the plot or storyline because I never finished this book. The cluttered plot, depressing characters, and conceited vampires made me close the book and put it away to collect dust. Bella came off as pitiful and helpless. She said things that suggested she had a very low self-esteem and couldn't function without Edward. Edward himself came off as very conceited and extremely unrealistic. The only character that seemed decent was Jacob.

I may have a biased opinion, but many people agree that Twilight is certainly not the best vampire story. It's hard to compare Harry Potter and Twilight, but they're both huge novels with both lovers and haters. I am a Harry Potter lover, a Ravenclaw, and a Twilight hater on Team Kill The Cullens. Whose side are you on?

Latest articles