Pink Floyd Founder Dead

Pink Floyd Founder Dead Richard Wright was keyboardist/piano for the band Pink Floyd from the very beginning until 1978. He played more than 10 instruments and regularly sang back-up or lead vocals.

Despite being a very low-profile member of the band, many saw him as a driving creative force who wrote numerous hits for the band. At the time of his death, he was thought to be working on a new album comprising of mostly instrumental pieces. He was 65 and died from an undisclosed form of cancer.

Upon hearing the news, David Gilmour (Pink Floyd, vocals and guitar) said "In my view, all the greatest Pink Floyd moments are the ones where he is in full flow. No-one can replace Richard Wright - he was my musical partner and my friend." He added "In the welter of arguments about who or what was Pink Floyd, Rick's enormous input was frequently forgotten. He was gentle, unassuming and private but his soulful voice and playing were vital, magical components of our most recognised Pink Floyd sound. Like Rick, I don't find it easy to express my feelings in words, but I loved him and will miss him enormously. I have never played with anyone quite like him."

Latest articles