Travis Barker in Plane Crash

Travis Barker in Plane Crash On September 19th, 2008 at 11:53 PM, Learjet 60, which held that held approximately six people, crashed on takeoff at the Columbia Metropolitan Airport. Four people were killed in the crash, two of which were crew members, reported the National Transportation Safety Board. Their identities have not been released.

Former Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker and singer-song artist Adam "DJ AM" Goldstein were the only survivors of the fatal crash but were found with extensive burns. The men pulled themselves out of the burning wreckage before medical assistants could reach the scene. Both men were sent to the largest burn center in the country, Joseph Still Burn Center in Augusta, Georgia. Barker and Goldstein are in critical but stable condition.

Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen reported that the twin-engine private jet was cleared for takeoff on a flight to Van Nuys, California a few minutes before midnight.

Air traffic controllers "saw sparks coming from the runway -- whether that was from the aircraft or its engines, we don't know," Bergen said on Saturday morning.

The jet had left the ground but ultimately crashed near the end of the runway on a road next to the airport. There were no other aircraft on the runway nor vehicles on the road.

A man who witnessed the accident told CNN affiliate WIS-TV that the plan was a fireball when it crossed the road and crashed.

The airport closed the next morning.

Columbia Mayor Bob Coble said, "It's absolutely terrible and tragic."

Latest articles