"They Saved My Life" - An Overrated Phenomenon - Comments

  • SHYLA01

    SHYLA01 (350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    My Chemical Romance didn't save my life, but they did improve it.
    Musically, I'm better, I was opened to a whole new world of music. Emotionally the music helped, but I saved me, not them. The music helped give me a new view, but it was me that seeked help.
    September 18th, 2009 at 07:08pm
  • Bree.Breh

    Bree.Breh (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I am one of those who will proudly say, My Chemical Romance saved my life.

    Yes, they have not been their physically, but emotionally and mentally they have. Their lyrics tell people that what you're going through, you're not alone. You can make it through. How many people stopped just because of one song that made them realize that you can make it? They may have not been their to take away the pills and razors, but their music was their to tell you what you are doing is a mistake.

    Don't think about as in My Chemical Romance inspired me to say they save my life. Think of it as My Chemical Romance inspired me not give up, that suicide isn't the answer. That they inspired me to keep on living.
    July 4th, 2009 at 10:24am
  • take chances.

    take chances. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I literally just shivered when I read Spooky's response, and it's like 78 degrees in here. and yes, it is a little much to say "They saved my life" but at the same time, it's nothing new for me to say that. everyone else already has. But it is a good point, that music is inspirational and such. Honestly, despite the rep between one huge group of kids that "MCR IS LIFE", and the other groups that "MCR IS OVERDONE (or emo, whatever)", groups like them really are important.
    June 19th, 2009 at 10:37pm
  • lol;

    lol; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    42
    Location:
    United States
    it's completely overrated and overused.
    if frank hadn't said something about wanting to be a band that saves lives then i bet no-one would be saying it now, same with skittles and so on
    June 16th, 2009 at 01:41am
  • ohghoulina

    ohghoulina (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    Of course it's overused.
    But the thing is for me they empowered me and saved me emotionally.
    Just knowing I wasn't the only one going through some issues helped me quite alot.
    But as the person below me has stated through their personailities and music they are acessible and they are there for you.
    Be it one way or another.
    June 13th, 2009 at 02:57am
  • ghost writer

    ghost writer (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    101
    Location:
    Australia
    It has become a largely overused phrase I must admit.

    Overused to the point where I have started questioning whether or not the people using it can actually comprehend the true weight of those words. I also happen to think that people do not give themselves enough credit. If infact you have been on the brink of suicide and not gone through with it -- the credit is yours. You should be proud of yourself.

    In the case of MCR I do think they provide support and, in a way, help "save lives". I know how powerful their lyrics are and I think it helps to have role models out there that readily admit they aren't perfect. They are, as people, very accessible. It helps people to not feel quite as alone and isolated with their problems so long as they know there are (as the band have said) [i]"five dudes out there who are just as messed up as you".[/i]

    In being accessible to their fans through their music and their personalities -- in that way -- yes, I think they help save lives.
    June 13th, 2009 at 02:14am
  • the apex predator;;

    the apex predator;; (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Sometimes bands actually do save people's lives physically. Maybe they're not there to do it hands-on, but I know a lot of people have ended up not comitting suicide/cutting because of the lyrics of certain songs. So I halfway agree. I myself am post-suicidal and my favorite band helped me get through the toughest time in my life...if they hadn't done that, I wouldn't be here right now.

    So while it's a bit overrated, there are people who actually are saved from death by bands like this.
    June 12th, 2009 at 09:00pm
  • Crow Maiden

    Crow Maiden (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I'm one of these people who say that My Chemical Romance saved my life, because they did.
    No one says that they PHYSICALLY saved them.
    I agree Spooky...
    June 12th, 2009 at 06:20pm
  • Nova's Nightmare

    Nova's Nightmare (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Australia
    I personally believe they save lives.
    Their lyrics are inspiring and quite frankly they do cheer me up.
    When their songs are on the radio, kids smile and belt out the lyrics, Music sooths the savage beast.
    And if teens stop before they commit suicide because they think ' I am not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid to walk this world alone' Then My chemical romance does save lives.
    March 24th, 2009 at 10:22am
  • n0thing

    n0thing (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    (Its so disappointing that I actually live right next to where MCR is from, poor NJ.) Anyway music in general tends to save a lot of people. So many people say that about various music artists. Thats why they say, "music sooths the beast".
    February 12th, 2009 at 08:33pm
  • Sharksnacks.

    Sharksnacks. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    What I think is that they can kind of save your life in many ways, but not always the ways that people think. You see, for many who say mcr saved their lives, it was probably just changed their view of life for the better. But, maybe there are some who were about to kill themselves, but then heard mcr and decided that suicide is stupid. I can't say that they completely saved my life, but I was one of those people that was going through alot of problems. School, alchoholic grandmother, and other crap. I was really really deppressed about a year ago and I was about to hang myself. MCR really helped me get through that crap, so maybe they did physicaly save my life. So for all of you shit heads who say MCR is emo, screw you!
    They really do save lives, depending on how sad you really are.
    February 10th, 2009 at 11:23pm
  • mr. word vomit

    mr. word vomit (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I understand that your article is con against My Chemical Romance (or any other band, for that matter) saving your life, but I just want to point out a bit of logic: no band is going to physically save you. It is wrong to use a situation where a person was close to the point of death, and put the blame upon a band. If you expect a band to give you something, what are you going to give [i]them[/i] in return?

    Plus, different bands affect people in different ways. Whereas some kids are prone to saying that My Chemical Romance impacted their lives, others could say that Panic! at the Disco, Coldplay, or even far out as Beethoven did.

    I believe that when people claim that bands "saved their lives", that statement is the end result of a process. Somehow, bands managed to spark something in a listener, therefore motivating them to grow stronger. In other words, it's entirely a personal issue that you can grow and mature from.
    February 7th, 2009 at 04:06am
  • Vic is a Turtle.

    Vic is a Turtle. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    84
    Location:
    El Salvador
    this is the most ridiculous statement ever, i completely agree that they didn't save you from a building, they didn't call 911 when you were on the brink of death, they didn't save you.

    it's stupid when people think that saying a band saved their life makes them seem as though they're a bigger fan of the band. i hate my chemical romance, but that has nothing to do with the fact that i think saying a band saved your life is completely stupid.

    their life must have been pretty pathetic to have something so trivial stop it from ending.
    January 29th, 2009 at 07:58am
  • Victoria.Elizabeth

    Victoria.Elizabeth (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I don't think they mean that they are going to physically saving your life.
    I guess when Gerard or the bad says that they mean that they want to be the ones that make you think twice about the choices you make.
    They have helped me through alot. I don't run around screaming "MCR SAVED MY LIFE" but when I think about it....they kind of have. When I need to think about things they are one of the first bands I listen to.
    But I do get sick of the little 'emo' kids that try to pass off My Chemical Romance as something like a cult. Gerard is amazing but he is not God.
    I have been a huge MCR fan for along time. Gerard Way is my hero. The things he says really helps keep me going.
    The message they send probably do help, or even save, alot of kids.
    I'm glad that we have bands like them.
    January 21st, 2009 at 02:57am
  • x-Bleeding-Fire-x

    x-Bleeding-Fire-x (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I'm not sure they actually mean 'save you life' in that way. But their music is geared to help people through difficult times in life. Its great to know that they have been where you are and that they really do understand which does add an extra dimension to their powerful music. However, I see more and more people saying that MCR saved their lives which makes me wonder how many people have truely been saved and how many think its a 'cult' phrase of whatever.
    But MCR saved my best friends life - I couldn't live without her so I suppose you could say they have saved mine too! Its a complicated issue -- But a good article!
    Thank you,
    Beth xxx
    By the way I'm sorry if that sounds at all hypocritical but you can't mention this issue without being so!
    January 20th, 2009 at 04:52pm
  • KUROMI

    KUROMI (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Puerto Rico
    well the true is mcr saved my life from their lyric
    January 17th, 2009 at 10:05pm
  • scottishcassie.

    scottishcassie. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I have to agree totally with what has already been said. They may not save your life physically, but they can emotionally depending on your state of mind. Yes they may not say, "Don't do this," but their lyrics say it all. If they can save you emotionally, does it really mean they can't save you physically? Do you understand my point? They save you emotionally from doing things such as slitting your wrists, killing yourself. Or does that come from yourself? I don't think so. There is truth in what the lyrics say, and to conclude, I have to say I still agree with what has been said.
    December 20th, 2008 at 12:04pm
  • Sugar Breath

    Sugar Breath (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    It is an over-used phrase.

    But that doesn't mean it doesn't hold some sort of truth, as you've stated in your article.

    I can't say that one of the band members physically saved my life, but their intensity and passion for life and what they do pulled me out of a vicious cycle that I thrust myself into after my mother passed away. If they hadn't had a life-changing impact I don't think that I'd have their lyrics tattooed around my wrists.
    December 4th, 2008 at 04:58am
  • ditaxdeath

    ditaxdeath (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    They really saved my life. When I was about to do it I heard the voices of my heros. Gerard saying that suicide is a waste and stuff. If it wern't for AFI, My Chemical Romance, Marilyn Manson and a couple more. I would be dead. ANd that is the truth.
    With Love,
    Bobbie
    December 3rd, 2008 at 12:19am
  • Elizabeth Lavenza

    Elizabeth Lavenza (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    They inspire, I can say that. They help up those kids who were depressed through their lyrics cause they felt the same way. When we as fans say "MCR saved my life" they really did. How many kids tried to commit suicide because of their problems? How many times did Gerard say 'never resolve to suicide. You can talk to someone'?

    No, they may not come up to you and say these, but how can they? With their music, that's how they save us. Each and everyone of us. By relating their music to what we feel and being our inspiration.

    Well written article. :]

    xodani
    December 2nd, 2008 at 11:47am