Mochic: The Next Big Thing

Mochic: The Next Big Thing Mochic (pronounced Mo-she-ck) music is said to have started in 2004 with a little-known band from Eaton Rapids, MI called CSPULL. In it's early days, the name 'mochic' came into existence as a way to describe the uncanny resemblance between CSPULL's music and Germans molesting chickens (MOlestingCHICkens). With the cranium shattering vocals and deafening acoustic guitar layered over child-like keyboard riffs of their first album, "Forgetfulness", it's no wonder that only 5 copies of the album were ever pressed!

Though the album was slaughtered by critics, many saw CSPULL's music as an inspiring form of independent self-expression, as well as a much needed breath of humor in the music scene. With such lyrics as "Jack White Forgot to Shave" and "Pop Forgot to Diet" being slammed in your face with more force than any hardcore, metal, or punk singer has ever mastered, CSPULL had created something all their own; never expecting anyone would enjoy it enough to follow.

After the release of their next album, "Cinnabuns on a Stick, Robby Beck of Chino Hills, CA came across their music, and was inspired to start a similar project of his own. Before you knew it, Skwa was born; a band with a mochic, yet still original sound.

CSPULL reached an all new audience when they recorded their "CSPULL Conquers the World (Issues)" album-gone-EP in the spring of 2007. Having always been a band with a strong force, insanely unique sound, and undeniable humor, the addition of real world issues into their music made them a hit with metalheads, punks, and band kids alike. After finishing up the album, CSPULL held their first annual PHROM at The Dungeon in Eaton Rapids, and have been invited to play many shows since; having played with bands from many varying genres.

CSPULL has since been put on the back burner for all of it's members, but mochic has blossomed into more than it's members could have ever imagined. Their lead singer, Leanne "Lawnee" Sabolish, has joined forces with Josh Pattison, and child prodigies Casey and Cody Martinez (formerly of the metal band, Sheer Daybreak) to form Straight From the Fridge: the newest form of mochic.

Since the beginning of the mochic movement, the name's meaning has stretched from a simple acronym for 'molesting chickens' into a word to describe a mosaic of sounds. Straight From the Fridge often describe their music as "organized mochic", because though they still have the same originality and humor as CSPULL and Skwa, they are all seasoned musicians and their music is a lot more than just noise. Aside from their unique music, Straight From the Fridge also creates an unusual look as a band, since the mochic scene is open to anything. The mindset of mochic music doesn't involve just mochic music and just mochic views the way so many other scenes do, but instead encourages simply being open minded and liking, wearing, and believing whatever combination feels right to you. It's really a scene of mixing and matching, which leaves for a lot growth and experimentation amongst individuals, as well scene-wide acceptance and diversity across the whole spectrum. Mochic bands are willing to play with any type of band, and love to see bands playing different types of music alongside each other.

Straight From the Fridge has played a number of shows since their formation in late 2007, and have an upcoming gig with Michale Graves (formerly of this Misfits) in November of this year. Their song "Pubert Christ" has become a local hit, and they hope to spread their music to the rest of the world in due time. They will be hitting the recording studio this Friday, October 10th, and will be performing with CSPULL at The Dungeon this Halloween.

Latest articles