Russell Brand in Prank Call Controversy

Russell Brand in Prank Call Controversy Presenter Russell Brand has once again hit headlines after causing controversy, this time whilst presenting a show on Radio 2.

Along with fellow Radio 2 presenter Jonathan Ross, he prank called the Fawlty Towers actor Andrew Sachs a total of four times, leaving insulting messages relating to Mr. Sachs’ grand-daughter. Ross and Brand are both experienced Radio DJs, and this incident has caused particular controversy as it was not a live stunt, but pre-recorded, leaving some to question the BBC’s judgment in allowing it to be aired. The show received 1,500 complaints as a result.

Andrew Sachs is best known for his role as Spanish waiter Manuel on the highly popular classic TV series Fawlty Towers, where he co-starred with John Cleese. He has been reported as feeling ‘highly offended’ by the prank calls. The 78-year-old actor was due to make a guest appearance on the show, but pulled out at the last minute. His agent is now calling for an ‘unreserved apology’ from Radio 2, according to the BBC.

Brand is no stranger to controversy. After presenting the MTV Music Awards in America last month, Brand was forced to apologise to the Jonas Brothers for making disparaging comments about their virginity. However, popular chat-show host Jonathan Ross’ involvement has surprised some, as he is rarely seen to cross the line in interviews.

Latest articles