David Tennant reveals his future as The Doctor.

David Tennant reveals his future as The Doctor. During his acceptance speech at the National Television Awards in Stratford, David Tennant has announced that he is leaving Doctor Who .

David said: "I’ve had the most brilliant, bewildering and life-changing time working on Doctor Who. I have loved every day of it. It would be easy to cling on to the Tardis console but I fear that if I don’t take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, I never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand. This show has been so special to me, I don’t want to outstay my welcome."

Don't be worried, David has still got four more specials to film that will keep The Doctor going through 2009 however, when the show returns for a new series in 2010, it will be without him as the Doctor.

He added: "I’m still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I’ll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git, whoever that may be. I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon. I’m looking forward to new challenges but I’ll always be proud to be the 10th Doctor."

During a BBC interview, David stated that he has no idea how he will exit the series, and that he is extremely excited to see how it plays out, "When I was a kid, I loved Doctor Who, I grew up with it. For me, it was the most exciting time when the Doctor changed.
You know he's on his way out, you know something terrible's going to happen, it's very exciting - and then you've got this whole new character to look forward and wonder about.

I'm sure it'll be a send off to be proud of."

Latest articles