Is There a Future For The Music Industry? - Comments

  • ....Excuses for murder don't fly, why should downloading?
    If you looking for hard to find stuff try zune, it's legal and cheap.
    I have a zune trust me, since they first came out- SCREW ITUNES.

    My mum always said, 'If you lie, you will steal, if you steal, you will kill' One thing leads to another its really a short trip.


    [size=250][b]DEY TUK ER JEOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b][/size]
    July 18th, 2009 at 02:21pm
  • I agree with this completely.

    CD sales and tours are the majority of the income for an artist.
    June 3rd, 2009 at 12:57am
  • Here's the thing though- and I'm going to argue for Limewire here.
    It may bring down CD sales and even though that is a large portion of any groups income- it isn't all of it. What about tours? Live Shows? Autograph sessions?
    There are more ways to build revenue and it is a complete lie on the part of the music industry to claim that illegal downloading will be its downfall.
    An artists biggest source of income? Mass media placement; their sound in the backround of advertisements. That would more than compensate for CD sales- although, to be fair, not all artists have the opportunity for that kind of propaganda.

    Maybe it's a good thing though, that their total revenue goes down- because it really puts a lot of musicians through their paces and weeds out the ones with less drive. Shouldn't music be about the inspiration? If anything this downloading is a great thing for the artist- it spreads their music faster than any agent would ever be able to! Those heartbroken about it are those consumed by thoughts of profit.
    May 14th, 2009 at 01:59am
  • i listen to a lot of j-pop (well its like the only thing i listen to now)
    so you cant buy a lot of songs on iTunes (i know i know theres the mainstream guys like ayumi and gackt and some miyavi on there but i dont listen to them) and if you want to buy their actual cd it costs alot and takes a long time to have it get shipped and stuff (plus i dont like putting credit card # on internet too scary)
    i dont use limewire anymore (virus nest >_>) but i rather download songs form my other friends (ex they uppload it to mediafire or something, give me the link and i download it) anyway if i had money and if it didnt cost a lot then i would buy every single frriging L'Arc~en~Ciel cd but i dont and it doesnt so i cant. i swear when im older ill personally donate like $200 for every laruku song i illegaly downloaded!
    March 31st, 2009 at 04:40am
  • Its not the end of CDs in my opinion. Illegal downloading seems to be an effective way to get your band heard, and, if you're like me, if you like a band enough, you'll go out and buy your favorite album(s), supporting the band that you like.

    You can further support your favorite band by going to their concerts, buying band merch, etc.
    January 13th, 2009 at 05:13am
  • I download from the web since I can't find any of the cd's I want.I'd rather have the cd's thought..but when I get a credit card I'll start ordeing them of the web.So I can have the cd.
    December 28th, 2008 at 01:58am
  • i download from Limewire all the time.
    it's mostly because most of the bands i listen to havent put out CDs
    like Hollywood Undead for example.
    1] most of their songs like their old ones arent on their new cd.
    2]i cant find it anywhere.
    November 28th, 2008 at 07:45pm
  • Yes, it's a sad state of affairs that artists are deprived of their rightful royalties by the pirating industry. But I seriously doubt that the CD will be gone forever, at least not in the near future. There will always be people who would rather not go through the trouble of downloading/burning songs on CD, or music fans who would like to have the spiffy lyrics booklet.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, since I have but a basic grasp of how this industry functions, but I don't see anything heinous with record companies becoming less of a necessity, and artists making their money chiefly through merchandise and tours. I think everyone agrees that artists deserve to get some sort of pay for their work, and it's only a matter of time until the system is up-to-date and efficient again. Managers and producers will still have jobs. And, with record companies less of a necessity, being a successful band without a record company will soon be a reality--hey, it's starting to become a reality [i]now[//i]! Seriously, think about the overwhelming increase in artistic freedom that the future's musicians will have! I'm not saying the transition will be painless--it won't--but I doubt that this is the end of the music industry. Clever entrepreneurs will find a way to cash in on things, like they always have in the past.
    November 27th, 2008 at 05:50pm
  • "People still by vinyls."
    Yes, because the general part of those Vinyls haven't been converted into CD's :file:

    -------
    Great article, i've been somewhat worried about this exact same thing for a while now.
    November 22nd, 2008 at 06:37pm
  • People still by vinyls.
    CDs will always have an audience.
    Record companies need to stop being greedy. They've overcharged for years.
    November 21st, 2008 at 08:34am
  • I'm not going to lie, I download music from Limewire quite often but never more than two songs from one band, it's most of the time just to hear them, see if I like them. Then if I do like them, I'll go buy their CD.
    I still prefer having the CD rather than downloading, and I think there will always be people that buy CD's.
    It would be a shame if CD's became extinct.
    November 10th, 2008 at 11:35pm
  • great article. I personally think that with more and more artists leaving their labels and continuing on their own, record labels themselves will diminish, thus making it possible for artists to make money and music on their own terms. 30stm is heading in that direction and radiohead and nine inch nails have been doing it for a while. It's the Music Industry Revolution. The end of labels!!

    cd's are only sold as a limited edition thing, that's why artists are selling dvd's and special edition cd's now. I think this is a great time for music, it's going back to the way it used to be before everyone decided to use it as a cash cow. Artists now are making music because they love it, not because it's an easy way to make money.
    November 8th, 2008 at 04:31am
  • Well written article. I enjoyed that thanks. =]

    I actually believe in years to come that CDs will become extinct just like record players and tape players. I still use those too, meaning I can buy second hand records from opportunity shops to listen to which is fantastic.

    However, I do believe it's not good in that sense. However, like everything the internet will cause the discovery of music to boom but the sale of it to decline. It's the sad truth.
    November 7th, 2008 at 03:01pm
  • yeah, but with the credit crunch, it is a lot easier for the GENERAL PUBLIC (the main victims of the financial crisis) to download via torrent, and Limewire, as opposed to buying CDs from record shops that are threatening to close and come back when the market isn't so saturated.

    So, although I love CDs (they provide a brilliant back up for my Sidekick and iPod), maybe downloading is the answer for just a little while longer?

    And peer-to-peer sharing will never stop.
    And ScarletBlack is right... everybody loves their boombox :)
    November 6th, 2008 at 11:41am
  • Neverrr. CD's will not become extinct just because of downloading. I download songs. My mother downloads songs. My father downloads songs. Our house is so filled with CD's that they are sticking out of our windows.

    I think downloading is good to find an artist and make sure they're stuff is good before wasting your money on some singer that only has one song you like -_-'. But, I don't know, there's some sort of high you get getting a CD and sticking it into your boombox or whatever.

    And CD's have best sound quality =]. Nothing beats it so far.
    November 6th, 2008 at 01:55am
  • I buy the CD's! It is a lot more fun then downloading, becuase idk you get to have the album and keep it on the shelf with all your other fabulous CD's! I LOVE buying them! I dont like downloading songs off Limwire or Itunes or things like that, its just not as fun.
    November 4th, 2008 at 05:38pm
  • I know :'(.

    It's so sad.

    For me, going out and getting CD's is half the fun.
    November 4th, 2008 at 12:13pm
  • sad....
    i remember last year, i was listening to my CD Player (which i don't use anymore cause i bought an iPod with my work money)
    and a boy said, "Let me see your iPod."
    I told him, "It's a CD Player."
    He said, "Man You're bootleg."
    that's how CD players are looked at now...bootleg....sad...
    i used to download off limwire, but that shit gave me a virus, and i lost all my documents...>=(
    November 4th, 2008 at 05:34am
  • theres a musci industry???



    lmao
    November 4th, 2008 at 02:34am
  • Cd's will never die. LP's will never die. As long as there is meatl heads, punks, emos, and hardcore/gridcore kids, cd's will never die.

    Limewire is great if you hear of a band and just want a song or two to check them out, then buy the album, or not if you don't t like them. Also Limewire provides music to kids who don't reli have the money to buy lots lots of cd's.
    November 3rd, 2008 at 04:08pm