Deftones Bassist Improving After Crash

Deftones Bassist Improving After Crash The bassist, Chi Cheng, from Deftones, was in a car crash last week in Santa Clara, California. Injuries were life threatening; he's currently in the coma he has been in since the crash. Doctors are hoping he'll be back on stage in short order.

"This Sunday saw the first signs of your prayers in action," reads one of the most recent posts from the band's studio blog. "Chi was able to hear and respond to his father's request to move his lower lip. His father also administered a tendon reflex test, of which both legs responded with movement. Doctors continue to remain optimistic, and the energy at the hospital remains very positive."

It isn't confirmed, but it's said that the bassist wasn't wearing a seat belt at the time the accident occurred. Chi was returning from his brother's memorial service and authorities have yet to report any other information on the crash or Chi's injuries.

Another post from the band's site suggests that his condition could have been a lot worse if it hadn't been for three off-work EMTs (Emergency Medical Technician). "The family would also like to send a special thank you out to the three off-duty EMTs that stopped shortly after the accident and saved Chi's life. It was by the Grace of God that these three individuals happened to be traveling on the road with medical gear in tow at the time of the accident. If not for them, the chances of Chi making it to the hospital alive would have been poor."

There isn't any information on how Chi's condition is going to affect the band's new upcoming LP. It was going to be released in the spring of next year, but it may be postponed.

"The neurosurgeon treating Chi says the first 72 hours are critical, and as of now, he is fighting the good fight and the doctors remain optimistic. We are seeing your prayers in action. The family asks that all the prayer warriors out there continue to pray for Chi, and keep sending out your positive energy." Another post by the band's drummer, Abe Cunningham reads: "The bassist's family is hoping that any fans reach out and try to help the homeless this season, something Chi tried to do whenever he had any free time away from the band or his family. "

""In the past, when Chi was not on tour, he would gather a few instruments together once a week and meet the homeless kids in the park to play music with them," reads a statement from the family. "Today, we ask you to give a homeless person a blanket, some warm clothes or some food. If you don't see a homeless person, reach out to a child near or far, and show some kindness to them. Keep sending your good thoughts and prayers; they are keeping him with us, and he is improving daily."

Latest articles