“Repo! The Genetic Opera” Approved for Tour Extension

“Repo! The Genetic Opera” Approved for Tour Extension He dances! He sings! He…hunts people down in dark alleys, and rips out their organs!

Yes, Repo Man Nathan Wallace really does it all. The middle-aged father of one, a main protagonist—and part-time antagonist—of Darren Smith and Terrance Zdunich’s Repo! The Genetic Opera shocks and horrifies all who observe the crimes he commits in the name of his employer, GeneCo. And now, you can witness his on screen exploits for yourself!

The 2008 rock opera film began its life as The Necromerchant's Debt, a considerably shorter stage-play that performed in the John Raitt Theater in Los Angeles, California. The play told a story of a desperate grave robber who found himself in debt to a Repo Organ Man. After its initial success, Smith and Zdunich decided to expand upon the universe that they had created—and Repo! The Genetic Opera was born.

Taking place in the year 2056 in a near post-apocalyptic world, an organ failure epidemic has nearly devastated the planet’s population. The world’s only hope is GeneCo, a multi-billion dollar biotech company, which soon begins to provide organ transplants for profit. Willing to put a price on their lives, the beneficiaries of these organs enter into an agreement that gives GeneCo the right to employ default remedies—including the repossession of the organs the company provides, if the recipient ever fails to keep up with his or her payments.

Collection of these organs falls into the hands of the Repo Men, assassins hired by GeneCo and whose collective purpose is to recover the company’s property—by any means necessary. Most, if not all, of those subjected to the Repo Men do not survive the encounter. Nathan Wallace serves as the head Repo Man for GeneCo, and is very prideful of his work though he never reveals his employment to his daughter, Shiloh, for fear of breaking her trust.

The movie features an all-star cast, including Sarah Brightman (a robot-eyed pop-opera singer known as Blind Mag), Paris Hilton (Amber Sweet), Anthony Stewart Head (Nathan Wallace), Paul Sovino (Rotti Largo), Alexa Vega (Shiloh Wallace), and Skinny Puppy frontman Nivek Ogre (Pavi Largo). Before casting was completed, director Darren Bousman (best known for directing Saw II and the following two sequels) knew that people might have an averse reaction to Paris Hilton appearing in the movie, and at first refused to audition her. He broke down eventually, and was pleasantly surprised by the result. She was a diligent worker on set, and prior to her hiring was so adamant on getting the part that she had a copy of the script smuggled to her when in prison (following her arrest in 2007) and used her time there to practice the role.

Darren Bousman fought long and hard with Lionsgate for the opportunity to make the rock opera film, though it wasn’t for several years that he was finally given the chance. Shot down twice, with the studio instead insisting that he devote his time to the Saw franchise, he ultimately refused to work on another movie after Saw III so he could concentrate on Repo!. Nevertheless, on February 19th, 2007, it was announced that Bousman had signed on to direct Saw IV. Bousman explained that there was a gap of time in which the songs for Repo! needed to be pre-recorded before production, and he would use that time to also direct the fourth installment in the horror movie series.

And yet, after the incredibly low-budget and yet special-effect riddled movie was made and ready to be released, Lionsgate offered very little promotion to draw people to the film. On November 7th, 2008, the gritty rock opera opened on eight screens in five U.S. cities (Austin, New York City, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and San Francisco) and brought in a mere $3,250 per screen that night. It will be released in Toronto, Canada, on November 21st.

This time, Darren Bousman took matters into his own hands and with Terrance Zdunich (writer and illustrator for the film, in addition to being the actor who played the part of GraveRobber) at his side, the pair embarked on a road tour in the hopes of promoting more interest before its scheduled DVD release, which will take place on January 20th, 2009. Using the movie’s website and responding to the large fanbase that has already formed for the film, Darren polled the fans and chose seven cities to visit with the film based on those in which the highest amounts of interest were garnered.

From November 10th, 2008, to the 16th, the film was showcased in local theaters in Portland (Oregon), Seattle (Washington), Chicago (Illinois), Kansas City (Missouri), Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania), Atlanta (Georgia), and Orlando (Florida). Darren Bousman personally carried the single film reel from theater to theater. He and Terrance Zdunich appear proud of their following, referring to their fanbase as the Repo Army. "Except our soldiers don't wear fatigues," Bousman commented. "They wear fishnets and corsets."

Lionsgate deemed the mini-tour a success, as it sold out completely every night, prompting Bousman and Zdunich’s announcement to the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania crowd that their tour had been extended to include later dates for Cleveland, Portland, Baltimore, and Seattle. More dates may be added, pending growing interest in the film—at least, that’s what Darren Bousman is hoping for.

If you live in any of these cities, be sure to check your local theater listings for Repo! The Genetic Opera and be prepared meet the director and the wily Terrance Zdunich, or pick up the DVD on January 20th to see what some critics are referring to as, “An instant cult classic!”

Repo!is rated R for strong bloody violence and gore, language, and some drug and sexual content.

Official Website:Repo-Opera.

Latest articles