Eleventh Doctor, Revealed

Eleventh Doctor, Revealed On Saturday, 3rd January 2009 a very special, one of episode of Doctor Who Confidential was broadcast on BBC One to announce the casting of the eleventh Doctor.

Since David Tennant, the tenth actor to play the iconic television figure, announced that he would be departing in October, we have all been wondering. Who could possibly fill the shoes of the man that the nation has warmed to so well? Stephen Moffat, who will replace Russell T Davies as head writer in 2010 did admitt that the process was difficult.

Many names were thrown up by the press as possible successors for Tennant: James Nesbitt, Russel Tovey and Catherine Zeta-Jones to name a few, all of which were incorrect. The nation was shocked into absolute silence as it was announced that Matt Smith, a twenty six year old virtual unknown had been cast.

Matt Smith is the youngest actor ever to have been cast as the Doctor. His previous TV appearnces include the BBC television version of Phillip Pullman's "The Ruby In The Smoke" and "The Shadow In The North" alongside one-time companion Billie Piper. He has also appeared in several West End productions, including Alan Bennett's critically acclaimed History Boys.

Smith was selected for the role before Christmas but was quickly sworn into secrecy until tonight. The twenty six year old admitts 'I've been with my flat mate, watching the TV, and Doctor Who is on. And I'm thinking "I've got something I would like to share...".'

Many are sceptical that Smith will be able to fill the gap left by Tennant and are concerned at Moffat's casting for the character. It is also true that the same was said of Tennant after he replaced Christopher Eccleston's Ninth Doctor. Tennant was quick to defend the young actor, saying: 'He was just spot on from the beginning... I couldn't believe it.' and also 'There is something quite old about him, so he looks old and young at the same time, which is terribly important.'

Smith has stated that the prospect of filling Tennant's position is 'Exciting but nerve-wracking'. 'I have got this wonderful journey ahead of me,' He said. 'I have got six months to build this.'

Filiming for Series five of Doctor Who begins in the summer, with Smith making his first appearance in the role during 2010.

Latest articles