An Xandria Without Lisa?

An Xandria Without Lisa? It's a question burning in the mind of every Xandria fan on the planet as the announcement of Xandria's new frontwoman draws closer and closer.

Lisa Middelhauve has been the gothic rock/metal band's lead singer since its formation in 1999, but chose to depart from the band in May of 2008, citing personal reasons. Releasing 4 albums and wonderful songs such as the classic Ravenheart with the band, Xandria's whole image and style seems to be built completely around Lisa, her unique and wonderful voice being one of the main characteristics of the band. Yet, one may argue that her departure saved the band.

In a recent interview with Xandria founding member Marco Heubaum, we find out that since their 3rd album, titled India, there has been significant friction between himself and Lisa. "You know when things aren’t right anymore, and we’d known that for a while. I mean, there have always been differences, especially between Lisa and me. We were a bit of an infernal duo", says Heubaum. The fighting between them could have destroyed the band, and Lisa eventually decided to step down in favor of someone who could "stand behind Xandria and do everything that goes with the role of being Xandria’s front person."

So, Lisa's departure may have "saved" the band, but can anyone imagine a Xandria without her? It's hard, but who knows? Few could imagine a Nightwish without Tarja after she was fired, but out of that situation came a band that was just as good, if not better, than its former self.

The speculation continues on who the new singer will be, but of course, the band is keeping it under wraps for the time being. Like Nightwish, they may be saving it for the release of a single or just a song from the coming album. According to the band, the recordings are nearly finished, and shows are already booked for a South America tour in the summer, so the announcement should be sometimes within the next few months.

We can only use our imaginations as to what the new voice will sound like. Will it be the same Xandria we've come to know and love over the years? Marco assures us that, "Xandria will be what it is, just with a new voice. We will present a new singer to the public when the time is right."

Xandria Offical Site
Xandria Official Myspace Page
Ravenheart Music Video
Save My Life Music Video

Latest articles