Tommy Reilly: Give Him A Call?

Tommy Reilly: Give Him A Call? Alex James made it pretty clear that singer-songwriters wouldn't be welcomed by him on the Channel 4 programme, Orange Mobile Unsigned Act. From the go ahead he wanted a band to be the champions, and a dominance of them in the final.

I'm guessing not a lot of people can say they made the bassist from Blur cry, but Tommy Reilly has that under his belt along with a 60 grand cash in advance contract with Universal Records. The 19 year old from Scotland grabbed this opportunity with his endearing lyrics and his ever-so-slightly haunting voice, and he originally wasn't even considered to be in the programme.

It was a nationwide search to find the best acts across the UK, anybody could enter so long as they fitted a few guidelines: all songs must be their work entirely, the acts must play instruments or have an accompanying band and they must be unsigned. Acts wishing to compete would upload their tracks onto the
Orange Unsigned Act website where they'd be showcased to the public who were then responsible for voting for who they liked. The thousands that enter are narrowed down to fifty, on public voting alone. These acts would then be seen by the judges, Alex James, Lauren Laverne and Simon Gavin and one guest judge (the likes of Kelly Osbourne, Lily Allen and Dizzee Rascal). Tommy Reilly wasn't one of those fifty.

Unnoticed by the public, Reilly went to one of the few open auditions that occurred during the course of the programme. This was so they could spot any rough diamonds that had slipped through the wood works. Each act would perform unplugged in front of Jo Wiley - Radio 1 DJ- for their second chance to get through.

Even after performing his angst-ridden song Gimme A Call, which is now his winning single and released for download, he was turned away and looked as if he would be going back to Glasgow permanently. However, it wasn't until he walked out of the audition room that Jo realised she'd rejected the best act she'd seen all day.

Through out the show, he had been the most discussed and most viewed contestant on the official website and the Youtube Channel. The moment of realisation that he had the winning potential came during covers week. Switching his acoustic guitar for a piano, he completely altered the arrangement of The Killers hit single, Mr. Brightside. A hair-raising performance that left plenty overwhelmed and Alex James with tears down his cheeks.

And today thousands witnessed Alex Zane reveal that the young songwriters life would be changed completely, as the public that formerly ignored him voted him their winner beating the other Scottish finalists Hip Parade. After his victory performance of the song that began his journey, he stood in awe as the crowd cheered for him and the silver ticker tape fell down on him. All before jumping into the raised arms, and experiencing the sensation of his first stage dive.

You can listen to this raw, new-talent here, just so your prepared before everyone else for the next big thing.

Latest articles