Update on Summit's New Moon

Update on Summit's New Moon Rumours are rife as the Twilight cast gets back into the driving seat to tackle New Moon. The controversial news that Vanessa Hudgens could be taking the part of Leah Clearwater for the next film, shocked fans this week.

Screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg has told the press that the character won't even been seen until Eclipse, and that final casting hadn't been decided on yet. Although Hudgens' agent also stated that they "didn't know anything about the audition," nobody has absolutely denied the rumour that she could take the part in future.

"I'm not sure about [final] casting but I had heard Vanessa Hudgens was going up for the part of Leah [Clearwater, a werewolf]," The Scribe told audience members at the 61st Annual Director's Guild of America Awards in LA on Saturday.

Rumours aside, would the Twilight fan base be happy with such a casting?

In other New Moon news, Rosenberg praised new director Chris Weitz, who directed The Golden Compass last year; "I think it's wonderful we have someone who has worked with CGI animals... that will be a big part of New Moon. I'm delighted we have someone who's so expert at that."

Speculation about Anne Lyne McCord taking the role of Heidi, a beautiful human who serves the Voluri in Italy is also another rumour, though, unlike Hudgens, the rumour has not been denied by Summit.

Dakota Fanning is in negotiations with Summit to play Jane, and seems psyched that people should consider her for the role; "I know that Twilight is so sacred to some people, so it's very flattering that they think I'd be right for the part. I think it is too soon to say for sure whether I will or won't be in New Moon." Lucy Hale has also been rumoured to have read for the role, but she seems happy to turn it over to Fanning. During an interview she explained that she was also interested in "Leah Clearwater, but I think there's already talks with somebody else."

Ashley Greene, who plays Alice, has confessed to having read the script, "I felt like a spy reading it," she recalled. "It does come very close to the tone and the events that are in book 2. There are a couple of things that were changed which I think make it more interesting for the visual medium but nothing that will upset fans of the books. I think it is safe to say that it will make everyone happy."

Principal photography begins in Vancouver this March!

Latest articles