"Hometown heroes; National Nobodies"

"Hometown heroes; National Nobodies" Gaskarth, along with his band mates, guitarist Jack Barakat, bassist Zack Merrick, and drummer Rian Dawson, were signed to Hopeless Records just barely out of high school. When most bands shy away from the label "pop-punk", All Time Low embraces it with open arms. They believe they bring humour back to the music industry, with their amusing on-stage antics. Their biggest influence is Blink 182, whom Dawson and Barakat have matching logo tattoos of.

On their debut album, "Put Up Or Shut Up", released in 2006, Alex Gaskarth wrote about some serious subjects, including the suicide of his older brother on "Lullabies". There are a few rumours as to what "Jasey Rae" means, one being about Gaskarth's one-night-stand with a girl. "Coffee Shop Soundtrack" is about his affair with a married woman.

Their next release in 2007, "So Wrong, It's Right" showed a lighter side. "Dear Maria, Count Me In" is a narrative about a stripper. "The Beach" talks about not wanting the summer to end. "Stay Awake (Dreams Only Last For A Night)" tells us to be dedicated to our dreams, as he says in the song, "dedication takes a lifetime/but dreams only last for a night".

Currently, they are finishing the recording process of their next album, hopefully being released in the summer of 2009. One of their sponsors, Glamour Kills Clothing, has followed them for the past few months and posted videos frequently on the band blog page on the Glamour Kills website. On these videos, there have been snippets of new songs, which sound a little bit more rock. The band is moving onto bigger things, switching to a major label, Interscope Records, and getting their music videos played on TV music stations, such as MTV and Much Music. Some fans believe All Time Low is becoming "too famous" and that they are "selling out", but these boys have a long road ahead of them in the spotlight. They have accomplished so much in so little time. Their music continues to inspire young musicians, and they have teenage girls swooning over every word spoken. It's safe to say that their music is loved and will be played for years to come.

Latest articles