Rock: Forgotten, Overlooked or Overshadowed? - Comments

  • [i]And to just_call_me_dookie please don't even waste your time commenting on anything of mine if you are going to talk shit about Avenged, okay?[/i]
    just_call_me_dookie has every right to state her opinion. Just because you don't agree with her doesn't mean that you have to get aggresive.

    This is a well written article, however I agree with what the others have said: If you want to listen to rock, tune into a rock radio station.
    March 23rd, 2009 at 10:27pm
  • Rock music is almost non-existant. With all these sub-genres leaching life from the one true genre, it's no surprise really that people like Miley and the Jonas Brothers are given the title of rock stars. You want to know why? Because they play guitars, and because they have guitar's in their songs - even though most of it is bland, repetitive and computer generated.

    Guitars used to be [i]the[/i] symbol of rock, but now every numpty can play it and call themselves a rocker.

    And to answer your question: the last time I heard of real rock musicians being appreciated for what they do, was probably in the 80's. Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, so on so forth. Those were the days and I'm fucking bummed I wasn't alive in the golden days of rock!
    March 23rd, 2009 at 10:02pm
  • You're right in the fact the "mainstream" media doesn't pay much attention to rock music. That's mostly because rock isn't as "mainstream" as it use to be. Rock music still get attention though. Take Green Day for example, they been getting a lot of press for their upcoming Album "20th Century Breakdown". You can find lots stuff about rock music , you just need to look.
    March 23rd, 2009 at 09:54pm
  • They don't play Rock hits on the Top 40 because you can't "dance" to Rock. I would really like to see someone dance with a partner to 'Freak on a Leash', without it being choreographed. Most people today are looking for something they can move to, something they call real- and the Rap of today is not relatable, FYI. Thug life isn't all that real to thirteen year olds who can't hold a note; neither is sex.

    I think there is something great about being a Rock fan and it's that since the genre isn't so mainstream as Hip-Hop or Rap, we have our own little world. Most of the time I hear people complaining about Rock bands being too mainstream, and how they are sell-outs when they appear on MTV. So, why worry that they aren't being exploited. Take pride in the fact that only a small portion of people listen only to the Rock genre. You aren't a part of the majority, you are the minority.

    As for the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus, they are rock. Both have real bands backing them up, no matter how peppy their music is; they are what we call pop-rock, a small sub-genre of Rock. Britney Spears is so popular because she debuted as a tween in the Mickey Mouse Club- in short: we've been watching her since she was a little kid, we've seen her grow up.

    I understand what you mean by bands not being recognized, but they are. Flying under the radar makes them more accessible to the people who really like them for their sound, not their image. Why do you think that Indie-rock is as popular, and that local bands have large followings? When they aren't in the news it means they aren't doing things so horrid and out there to be noticed in the first place. When you look at it from this perspective, there's really nothing to whine about.
    March 23rd, 2009 at 09:50pm
  • I think, personally... it's not that rock music is overlooked or overshadowed, and it's not that it's not popular enough to be on the radio, it's just that the wrong people are in charge of those big music-playing things. I mean, who wouldn't walk through the halls of any school or any mall and hear people talking about the good stuff? The people who know about it listen to it, and the people who don't are enlightened in due enough time.
    March 23rd, 2009 at 09:38pm
  • Will someone listen!! HITS! This means that it should be a mix of music! As a matter of fact one of the two stations we have around here that is supposed to play everything only plays two types of music! READ what I have to say will you? I covered this!
    March 23rd, 2009 at 09:28pm
  • I think rock bands do get recognition if you're listening to the correct radio station.
    It's going to be no good turning to a RnB station and thinking "hmm, there's no rock music."
    Radio stations generally stick to one type of music, and there's plently of rock ones - so stop complaining.

    As long as you're happy listening to rock music, does it really matter if they're recognized or not? I listen to rock music, but I also like Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus etc.
    March 23rd, 2009 at 09:25pm
  • No I'm to effing stupid to know that there are stations that play only rock! I had no idea! Damn it do not say shit like that, because guess what I do know about those stations! Hell I even mentioned it in the article! And to just_call_me_dookie please don't even waste your time commenting on anything of mine if you are going to talk shit about Avenged, okay? To YouReallyHadMeGoing that is exactly what I mean! Bands do not get credit because of their music, they get it because of what the do. Now I'm going to get out of here and go cool off
    March 23rd, 2009 at 09:11pm
  • The reason A7X isn't in the media: --they don't flaunt drug use, they haven't made a sex tape, they haven't started a fight with miley cyrus, etc. etc.
    At least i can listen to their music, who actually cares if they are on MTV count down or whatever mtv does now-a-days
    March 23rd, 2009 at 09:03pm
  • Um...all bands created after 2000 suck. And Avenged Sevenfold is a terrible example of "Real Rock".
    March 23rd, 2009 at 08:59pm
  • ok. heres wat happened here in jersey (if you live in jersey you may have herd of it)

    1 of my fav rock stations EVER just turned to pop! why? because radio needs more "Top 40 Songs". there was a protest, but its still pop/hip-hop. luckily, ive got another station to listen to..

    and i dont mean to bring some fans down, but i HATE the Jonas Brothers. they're just another band where little teeny fan girls can obsess over them. all their songs are the same. THEY ARE NOT ROCK STARS! Rock stars are like MCR, A7X, Motley Crue and other rock bands.

    I love rock more than anything, but i really think it deserves more credit..

    thats my opinion..
    March 23rd, 2009 at 08:54pm
  • I think true rock has been forgotten by the media, not by true fans of the genre.
    March 23rd, 2009 at 08:45pm
  • I HATE the fact that Miley and the Jonas Brothers are considered rock when they are pretty much the opposite...
    And have you heard about the drama between Miley and Radiohead.?
    ...I mean, Are you serious?
    March 23rd, 2009 at 08:34pm
  • Yawn. Media sucks, yadda yadda. It's been covered.
    March 23rd, 2009 at 08:34pm
  • Solution: turn to a rock radio station. They do exist, you know.
    March 23rd, 2009 at 08:22pm
  • If they do music awards where a 16 year old wins over people with more experience
    if at the awards they have known drug addicts and people who'll go or have went to jail
    seriously bad role models
    they can't add a rock category like real rock
    not fall out boy or any of that
    i really don't know whats become of this world
    March 23rd, 2009 at 07:46pm
  • In the midwest we have a great radio station, 98.9 The Rock KQRC. They play strictly rock, and I'm not talking about Miley Cyrus or the Jonas Brothers. They play dirty, gritty, actual rock 'n roll. They even have an hour every night (except sundays) for strictly metal, called The Pit. (11:00 to Midnight central standard time.) I guess I'm just spoiled by that radio station but I do agree that real rock music doesn't seem to be as recognized and distinguished as it used to be. Oh and 98.9 The Rock streams live on the web at 989therock.com
    March 23rd, 2009 at 07:21pm
  • Rock is a pretty wide genre....
    March 23rd, 2009 at 06:10pm
  • I think it comes down to the simple fact that rock just isn't the 'mainstream', and like what other people have said, there are radio stations for rock music for the people who want it.

    You could almost describe it as in a completely different world of its own... Bands like Avenged Sevenfold - they are widely recognised, but it's within the world of people who are involved with that type of music, know what I mean? These bands have their own charts and awards to show themselves off with.

    And honestly, I don't think 'real rock' exists anyway. There's too many sub genres these days. And pop-rock, like the Jonas Brothers, just happens to be one of them.
    March 23rd, 2009 at 06:02pm
  • Let me start off by saying, I really appriciate your article because i love rock music and some screamo and hard rock. There are places where you can find rock music but it's surely, as you said, not as advertised and appreciated as pop and hip-hop music. I listen to stations all the time where they play nothing but things like slipknot, mudvayne, motley crue, some my chemical romance occasionally. There is nothing that I would like better than for some of my favorite bands to get the recognition they deserve, because there are A LOT of good rock albums and CD's that don't get appriciated because chart-toppers like the Jonas Brothers are all everyone else thinks about.
    March 23rd, 2009 at 05:53pm