Harry Potter vs. Twilight: The Facts

Harry Potter vs. Twilight: The Facts I do feel completely obliged to expose my point in this matter, seeing as the Harry Potter movie is coming soon and New Moon is being filmed.

I like the Twilight saga, I really do, yet I don’t think it has what it takes and basically I feel like it is what it is because a bunch of teenie boppers have decided it to be so. Then again I DO need to say this: Your last name is NOT Cullen.

The same way as your last name is not Potter, Weasley, Malfoy, Wood, Longbottom, etc, etc. I also have to admit I do this kind of stuff, however I do it as a joke and I don’t actually believe I’m going to end up marrying Harry Potter or any of the other characters. (Marrying the cast is an entire different situation but that’s not the problem here clearly.)

Now, let’s review the plots, facts, main characters, supporting characters and movies.

Harry Potter tells the story of an 11 year old boy who lives with his uncles and cousin in England, he one day is visited by a semi-giant we later come to know as Hagrid who reveals the truth that he’s a wizard. After that we’re told the story of Lord Voldemort (or He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named whatever floats your boat) and his plan to rule over the world and kill all mudbloods and muggles. Over the years Harry Potter faces a series of much unfortunate events alongside with his friends Hermione Granger, a muggle born wizard who’s the brightest witch of their time, and Ronald Weasley, son to two wizards and of a numerous family.

Twilight tells the story of Bella Swan, a 17 year old teenager that moves from Phoenix, AZ to Forks, a small town in Washington. She lives with her dad Charlie Swan who’s a police officer. One day at school she meets Edward Cullen in biology class, a somewhat very strange guy who seems to hate her. Our story develops and the plot thickens as Bella and Edward develop a relationship and she tells him he’s a vampire (and he sparkles too!) as well as his family. Enter, Jacob Black, a normal 15 year old boy, except for the fact that he’s around 2 feet tall and a werewolf. The story develops as Edward and Bella face a new enemy each time and their love grows strong (spoiler alert!), however during the 4th book Edward impregnates Bella, having a baby which almost kills her, the small girl is then “branded” by Jacob which makes them long life partners, and they battle against the Volturi which is somewhat of a vampire police of some sort.

Now, let’s evaluate their authors and how the story began, and I apologize if I got any of this facts wrong.

JK Rowling states that the started the story one day whilst sitting at the subway in London, the last name Potter was taken out from a family she met when she was smaller.

Stephanie Meyer point blank says that she had a dream and she decided to write the book.

Now, I ask of you, what kind of married, with two children housewife has a dream about a vampire loving her and she’s a 17 year old girl? My answer, not a common housewife.

Stephanie Meyer’s writing style assembles that of a 17 year old thoughts, however her analogies are so poor that even a 15 year old could have done it. The entire book is first point of view sometimes switching to Jacob Black’s.

JK Rowling’s style is that of the classic Brit, spotless and excellent. She describes things thoroughly which makes you understand the book and the complex plots and the things going on in each character’s life. The book is in third person which also gives you a full view on each character and how they interact with each other.

Whilst Harry Potter as I previously mentioned is set in England, Twilight is set across the US and in the third book in Italy, yet it still leaves no room for anything else. Harry Potter dwells on a series of sets and places that are still in England, showing no need to travel to other places.

Harry Potter and the Movies That Made History:

- The book was adapted to the big screen with it’s first book The Sorcerer’s Stone the summer of 2001

- It was nominated for 3 Oscars and had another 12 wins and 46 nominations in different award shows.

- It had a box office hit worldwide of $974,733,550. And $90,294,621 in its weekend opening.

- Its more recognized actors are Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith and Julie Walters.

- Following this movie came another series of success’ and the movie never ceased to amaze people winning $1,411,122,875 in just five movies.

The Next Harry Potter:

- The book was adapted to the big screen with Twilight the first part of the saga in November 2008.

- It had no award nominations other than small roles at the Teen Choice Awards and others.

- Its box office hit worldwide was of $376,148,833. And $69,637,740 in its weekend opening.

- Their recognized actors constitute the majority of the cast.

- The follow-up to this movie is New Moon, which will be released tentatively in November of 2011.

Although Twilight counts with a cast of widely recognized actors, their performances aren’t exactly top notch. Robert Pattinson seems clearly uncomfortable with the role he’s displaying and Kristen Stewart displays, in my opinion, an awful job compared to the work she’s done before.

Harry Potter’s actors are far more experienced and even though Daniel Radcliffe started at such a young age he never ceased to amaze the critics with his outstanding performance.

Overall, not only do numbers display it, but also a huge legion of fans, critics, directors, etc. Harry Potter proves to be better than Twilight not only in their movies but also in the book is written, their characters and how complex the plot is.

Latest articles