Dora The Explorer - All Grown Up

Dora The Explorer - All Grown Up We've seen toys such as Barbie, Bratz and Polly Pocket who have been young and grew up into teenagers, but who knew that our little Dora the Explorer would have grown up as well? Mattel, Inc. and Nickelodeon/Viacom Consumer Products introduced a new way to look at Dora for children ages five and up. The new change includes fashion dolls and accessories.

“For nearly ten years, Dora the Explorer has had such a strong following among preschoolers, catapulting it into the number one preschool show on commercial television,” says Gina Sirard, vice president of marketing for Mattel. “Girls really identify with Dora and we knew that girls would love to have their friend Dora grow up with them, and experience the new things that they were going through themselves. The brand captures girls’ existing love of Dora and marries it with the fashion doll play and online experiences older girls enjoy.”

Although it seems like such a smart and brilliant idea to the children, but parents are not so eager about Dora's transformation. She trades her pink shirt, androgynous bob and shorts for big hair, pumps and a miniskirt. A petition is circling around to try and convince Mattel and Nickelodeon to reconsider this change.

Dora is now a "tweenager" and attends a middle school after moving to the city. Dora also has a new website in which girls can play games, accessorize and meet Dora's new friends. “Dora’s Explorer Girls™ is a unique, innovative product line that the toy industry has not previously seen,” says Jim Silver, editor-in-chief of TimetoPlayMag.com says.

Is it a good or bad idea? Was Dora in need of some growing up and out of her adventerous ways and into the new "tweenaged" trends? How many people will enjoy watching Dora go shopping and try on new clothes instead of helping out her animal pals when they're in trouble? Will this influence girls to abandon the outdoors and move on to obsessing over fashion and shopping?

Only time will tell.

Latest articles