Coconet Classic Festival

Coconet Classic Festival Easter Sunday came for the people in Gladstone with not a cloud in sight. The past few days it was pouring down rain, but cleared up for the Coconet Classic Festival in Tannum Sands/Boyne Island, Queensland.

Coconet Classic is not just a music festival; it also held some extreme sports such as Skateboarding, kite surfing, BMX and other festivities over the Easter long weekend. The line-up for the festival ranged from small local bands to large Australian bands that people know.

The Line Up:

  • The Living End
  • The Butterfly Effect
  • Spiderbait
  • The Herd
  • Dukes of Windsor
  • Butterfingers
  • Mammal
  • Dead Letter Circus
  • Diana Anaid
  • Melodyssey
  • Epidemic... Over
  • Fusillade
  • MilitiA
  • The Shortfall
  • The Silence
  • Whyte Zebra
  • Kissing the Blue Lady
  • And Jimmy Z who was DJ-ing in between sets.

The first band to take the stage was the Rockhampton four-piece, the Shortfall. Playing to a mere fifty people, the Shortfall still done an energizing set with some local fans in the audience cheering the band on. Near the end of the set the band had gotten more people to join them at the barrier and even got people jumping to their catchy music, but they finished thirty minute set letting the Central Queensland band, Fusillade take the stage.

With a sound influence by the 90’s rock bands such as Pearl Jam, Velvet Revolver and Audioslave; Fusillade delivered an amazing set. With a replacement on the guitar; Fusillade got the crowed moshing to their rock songs.

Whyte Zebra took the stage after Fusillade, but technical difficulties had stopped them first up. With three girls helping out the three guys on tour they talked to the crowed whilst the singer/guitarist fixed up the problem. The band was talking to the crowed; seeing how many people were not locals and throwing out free ‘stubby coolers.’ After the several minute hold up and finding out water had gotten on their equipment, Whyte Zebra finally began their set. To people’s dismay, their sound was not the crowds ‘cup of tea’ which lead to a fair few people leaving the stage to find something better to do such as get drinks, get merchandise and even go on the several rides they had their. Overall most people stayed; claiming their places at the front barrier for bands later on in the afternoon/night.

With a Parkway Drive t-shirt in sight, the crowed was itching to see what MilitiA would sound like. With some fans of the band the crowd moshed to their heavier music and cheered the band after each song.

From heavier music to soft music, Kissing the Blue Lady came on; making people leave instantly. Even though their music was not people’s taste, they still had a good set; getting people rowdy for the upcoming band, Mammal and Dukes of Windsor. With only a piano and guitar; people cheered the two ladies on stage with their acoustic/folk rock sound, but people couldn’t of been more happier when their sent ended and the pop rock band, the Silence took the stage.

With a Paramore and Hey Monday sound, the Silence got the crowed back, but they did nothing but stand there; listening to their music. The guitarist and bassist disappointed; hardly moved from the spots on the side, but the two singers, Yanna Day and Andrew Cartwright got the crowed going closer to the end of the set. Andrew’s screaming and Yanna’s singing together provided a strong sound and an amazing set from the young band.

Local favourites, Epidemic... Over tore up the stage as one of the best local bands of the day. Getting the crowed involved and even joining them down near the barrier Epidemic... Over had a very powerful set which eared a lot of happy punters. Amazing vocals combined with the sounds of the rest of the band got the crowed cheering loudly and moshing to the rock sound. Telling the crowed that ‘this was a f***ing festival’ and that they can go ‘F***ing crazy’ and of course the crowed did.

With a strange voice, Melodyssey came on stage. With a few people leaving because of the strange sound of the band they did perform a good set. Most punters stayed to see what they had to offer they ended up moshing to their sound.

Diana Anaid was next and a lot of people left. Her acoustic performance did not go down to well. Several punters were cheering her on and dancing on the side, but other stayed there silent for the next band, Dead Letter Circus.

Dead Letter Circus; a Brisbane band took they stage earning a lot of cheers from the many fans in the crowed. Most fans had been waiting for this band the whole day and blew people’s expectation off the scale. With a fire-y set and getting the crowd jumping; Dead Letter Circus was a great choice of band by the festival. With no shoes on; singer, Kim Benzie still got onto the grass to join punters at the barrier; even getting groped by the punters. Overall they performed an unbelievable set and was got the crowed excited and pumped for the electro rock band, Dukes of Windsor who was on stage next.

With a top ten on the Aria Singles Chart and took Australia by storm in 2006, Dukes of Windsor hit the stage getting a roar from the crowed as they got into their first song, but just after four songs a problem occurred with drums which earned the singer telling the crowed that was all. They crowed and many Dukes of Windsor fans were not too happy as he began to walk off stage, but they all soon learned it was just a joke as he turned around and made his way back with a smile on his face. Whilst the drum kit was getting fixed singer Jack Weaving asked the crowed what they wanted to talk about while climbing up onto the speakers and sitting down. The main thing that everyone would scream out was sex. Jack was laughing and told the punter that there was something wrong with him, but soon said let’s talk about sex. With the drum kit fixed Jack told the crowd that they would rather listen to the band rather then here him talk ‘shit’ as they started back up into the song that the drum kit stuffed up on. Performing their many hits such as The Others, latest single, Runaway and other songs off their newest album, Dukes of Windsor finished on their second biggest single, It’s a War which got people singing along to the amazing song.

Mammal hit the stage in a uproar of screams and cheers in return gave one of the best performances of the day. With tons of energy they tore the stage up; yelling at the crowed that the were ‘F***ing doing the best they can’ and that the crowed could ‘f***ing do it too’ so he got the crowd screaming like there was no tomorrow. The atmosphere during this set was unbelievable. The crowed got so into this band as he yelled out the people that were sitting down to ‘get the f*** up and join the mosh’ which many obeyed. Close to the end of the set lead singer, Ezekiel Ox said ‘f*** it’ and jumped into the crowed; making his way to the people who were sitting down and performing out there with his band still on stage. Crowd surfing back to the stage; Mammal finished with a bang and the loudest cheers that were heard all night. Mammal had put all the punters into the right mood and it was seen for the rest of the night.

Both Butterfingers and the Herd performed great hip-hop sets, but the Australian rock band Spiderbait performed a great rock set to blow all fans away. Performing songs such as Old Man Sam and F***en Awesome provided great sing-a-longs with the crowed, but their last song, Black Betty what most people were waiting from. Kram (Drummer/vocalist) dedicated it to a women who had wrote to them telling them about her brain tumour and how the song Black Betty got her through it. The crowd’s reaction was unbelievable as Kram said ‘everytime we play this song we will always dedicate it to her.’

The second last band of the night, Butterfly Effect made the mosh pit go wild with the Jaws theme as their into. Even with no crowed surfing and dangerous dancing signs; it didn’t stop the excited punters for this Brisbane band. Even though Clint Boge’s vocals were hard to hear because of the band (or it could of just been my ears) it still was an energizing set.

But, the band that everyone was here to see was the Melbourne trio, The Living End. With success around the world everyone could not wait to see what this band would bring. Itching with excitement; the band took longer to come on with their stage still getting set up. The crowed got restless and chants of TLE filled the Dennis Park Football Field. The Living End soon coming on stage breaking into their song 21st Century? from their new album, White Noise. Hit after hit The Living End provided a great set list with old sing-a-long songs such as Prisoner of Society, Wake Up, Roll On, All Torn Down, Who’s Gonna Save Us and Second Solution. They also played hit singles of their new album, White Noise, Moment in the Sun and Raise the Alarm which got everyone moving and singing along. They also played some not really known songs off the new album, How Do We Know?, Loaded Gun and Make the Call. The crowd to this band was indescribable. The atmosphere between band and punters was something you will never experience if you never see this Australian band. Overall they played amazing with Chris Cheney (Guitarist/Vocalist) saying smart remarks during each song to get the crowed laughing and cheering.

Coconet Classic Festival was a very well organized event. The punters were well behaved and the atmosphere of the whole festival was something I had never experience at any festival. I would recommend anyone to go to the festival next year if they get the chance. For more information and photos from the festival head to CoconetClassic.

Latest articles