What Has "Good Music" Become?

What Has "Good Music" Become? Flip on MTV and you'll probably hear Flo Rida's "Low" blaring from the speakers. Or maybe even Britney Spears dancing sexily to the most awful song you've ever heard. It's disgusting... And you can't help but wonder how these people became successful. And furthermore, how could people think this music was good?

Let's face it. The days of eighties punk rock bands, indie musicians, and crazed, drugged (and bloody wonderful) lyricists are gone. And as much as you and I would love to hear a Ramones song blaring from the Top 100 list, it's never gonna happen.

Sorry friends, but The Cure has been replaced by Metro Station (ouch!) and their scene followers. It hurts, I know, yet it's the truth. Take a walk down the street and you'll find music stores sporting Taylor Swift or Kelly Clarkson CDs. Bye bye to The Clash, we'll miss you.

It almost seems like artists today gain success on marketability rather than talent.

Don't get me wrong, the classics will always be here. Your parent's favorite bands (and maybe your own if you have a good taste for old music) will always be around. The Beatles and Rolling Stones are timeless and will never be forgotten. But there's no doubt that they will always be dominated by the mainstream teeny bopper's favorite hip hop track.

Don't give up quite yet! I know I won't.

I've learned to appreciate truly "good music". Walking down the street, I heard a guy my age strumming passionately on his guitar. I couldn't help but smile. Maybe there's still hope left. Maybe this generation can rejuvenate our taste in music. I have faith.

And when I think the classics will never come back, I will always remember that boy, sitting on his front lawn, coaxing beautiful, melodious music out of his guitar. Now that's good music.

Latest articles