Cobra Starship To Split Up?

Cobra Starship To Split Up? After only four years of life and (almost) three breakthrough albums, it has come as an extreme shock for those who have heard of the speculated break-up of the synth-punk cult band.

Though rumors concerning the split have been circulating for a few months already through the likes of fan-blogs and LiveJournals, Gabe Saporta, vocalist and front man of Cobra Starship, has recently given the threats some credibility during one of his mid-concert monologues.

Whilst on the San Jose leg of the 'Believers Never Die Part Deux' Fall Out Boy tour [April 7th 2009], Saporta was quoted saying that '[the song, 'Pete Wentz Is The Only Reason We're Famous'] is about the fact that one of our first tours ever was opening for Fall Out Boy, and now, one of our last tours ever is opening for Fall Out Boy’. Vague as the reference may be, it sparked some panic among devoted fans that there may be some truth behind the rumors.

One month later, after Cobra Starship's set on the UK's Slam Dunk Festival [May 24th 2009], journalist and enthusiast Elena Snowden met exclusively with Saporta to discuss the rumours.

"Cobra Starship will probably separate by the end of the year", Saporta had shrugged. "We feel like we need a new challenge - to do something different. I think Cobra's reached the peak of its existence now."

When asked what "something different" might concern, Saporta replied 'I want to study igneous rocks in China." We can only hope this is evidence of the sarcasm Saporta is famed for.

In reality, there may be a Midtown revival on the cards, as alluded to in Fall Out Boy's ‘Folie A Deux’ viral campaign [in which a link in the associated webpage lead to a photograph of Mr Saporta himself, face blurred out, with three fans in Midtown shirts. The caption read "What if this is all over for us? - will they be okay? -is this the end or just the beginning?"].

But what about the rest of the band? Perhaps this signals the revival of This Is Ivy League, the ‘side project’ of lead guitarist and bassist, Ryland Blackinton and Alex Suarez?

Perhaps, and perhaps not, though one thing is sure - thousands of Cobra Starship fans worldwide will be following their progress, keeping fingers crossed [or fangs up] for more genius 80’s style punk rock beats.

Latest articles