MTV: Monotonous Television

MTV: Monotonous Television On Aug. 1, 1981, MTV (Music Television) was launched, and has since revolutionized the music industry with all of the newest videos and music news (via "Behind the Music" ) constantly being aired.

Since its beginning, it has spawned numerous sister channels (VH1, MTV2, Spike, Nickelodeon) and has become the center of the phenomenon we all "reality TV," starting with the ever-popular series, "The Real World" and the enigmatic series, "The Osbournes," both of which are some of the very first reality television show that were full of real drama created by people who weren't actors. MTV created an entire new world of teen entertainment, and has impacted popular culture as much as the British Invasion did int he 60s.

No one can deny how MTV has created its own infamous culture, but lately, the business has been slowly disappointing its audience. It has become less about the music and more about the drama-focused shows such as "The Hills" (and its spin-offs "The City" and "Bromance" ), "A Shot at Love" (and its spin-off "A Double Shot at Love" ) and "Making the Band" (1, 2, 3 and now 4).

The only music-related television show that MTV regularly aired was "TRL," wgucg has recently taken a "break" after 10 yearsm 2,247 episodes and countless VJs (video jockeys), including Damien Fahey, Vanessa Minnillo and Carson Daly.

But over the summer of 2008, MTV revealed its new series, "FNMTV" (standing for "Friday Night MTV" ) which, in some people's opinions, is a successful replacment for "TRL" for the time being. Hosted by Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy, "FNMTV" showcases new music videos as well as established favorites. Every episode includes three or four special guests, some who perform and some who interview or give their opinions on the performances and videos on the show.

It's pretty clear that MTV's producers sort of lost their music-related touch for a bit, but are trying to bring back the edge it had when everything started in 1981. With a new season of "FNMTV" underway, anything is possible.

Latest articles