Peace!

Peace! Think back to what you see as the 60's. What do you think about? Messy 'hippies' with long hair and flowers? Lots of flowers?

Or do you see the peace symbol everywhere?

Nowadays, the peace symbol (A straight line with two others breaking off of it in the middle, surrounded by a circle) is making a comeback in the world as a fashion trend, one that is seen on all kinds of clothes or accessories. Such as, t-shirts, earrings, other jewelery, tote bags, hand bags, and even shoes!

Even though this 'peace' sign is making a huge appearance in the world of fashion, many people don't know it's origins and what it originally represents. When it was designed by Gerald Holtom in 1958, it was a symbol for the British Nuclear Disarmament Movement. The widely known symbol is supposed to be the combining of the nautical letter signals "N" and "D" (for Nuclear Disarmament). The signal for N is the person holding two flags, one directly above his head and one directly downwards (making the single vertical line in the symbol). And the D is the person holding the two flags straight and at a 45 degree angle from his body (making the two smaller lines branching off from the vertical one).

Later the symbol was adopted by the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, making the emblem widely and internationally known, representing the culture and anti-war beliefs of the sixties.

But, are the people wearing peace apparel just in it for the fashion?

Some say yes, some say no. But many people are taking this opportunity to express their beliefs or thoughts through the trendy designs, in this new age peace trend movement.

Latest articles